SMG vs. Steptronic

I am buying a new series and have a choice of the SMG or Steptronic. They look to have the same functions (i.e. automatic or manual) except SMG also
comes with paddle shifters. Opinions on which to get?

Have you test driven both?
Tom
no. Unfortunately there is only one dealer here, and they only had one 5 with a steptronic to test drive. Is there a big difference in the driving based on that option?

Important point to consider is that you won't get the 'proper' SMG, as is found in the M3/5.
What you get with the vanilla Zs, 3s and 5s is a cut-price version of SMG, that has received a severe slating from many reviewers.
I personally prefer Steptronic, and would never consider the cheapo-SMG offered as a marketing gimmick in the non-M cars. On the Ms though, I'd take the (proper) SMG over the manual any day.
ag wrote:

Steptronic is a torque converter auto with (sanity checked) manual mode.
SMG is a servo clutch auto with (sanity checked) manual mode(s).
Get an ALPINA with Switchtronic - Steptronic + steering wheel buttons, the best of both worlds. :)

If you intend using it in auto mode much of the time get the Steptronic. It's a *far* better auto.
In manual mode the Steptronic is slower to react than the SMG. It also has a power wasting torque convertor so the ultimate performance will be poorer.
--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yup, especially in town.

You sure? My ALPINA Swichtronic - same mechanism, different software - is near instantaneous in shifting.

That's the downside. You'll probably still go as quickly as you would with SMG or manual 99% of the time, you'll just use a little more fuel.
ag wrote:

If you need an automatic, get Steptronic. It is a better automatic than SMG. Otherwise, if you want to be in total control of the car, get a manual. It is a better manual than SMG
--
-Fred W