spark plug connectors

i have a question i'm about to change my spark plugs on a 99 540 bmw should i change the spark plug connectors also?

Reply to
1255 via CarKB.com

Connectors?

If you mean the screw-on thingies on the top of the plug, yes. They come with the new plugs. If one is missing, then take it from an old plug. If you mean the gizmo that goes from the coil to the plug itself, no. There is no reason to change those unless one crumbles and breaks. If one goes, my guess is that the others are not far behind. But, in my '94 3 Series cars, these are not giving me any problems, and I'd not expect yours to be problematic yet.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If the connectors that Jeff is referring to are going bad, one symptom would be a misfire under hard acceleration. This is also a symptom of a failing coil or plug too. Look for whitish streaking on the connectors. That is a sign that they may be "leaking voltage" under severe conditions. I buy most of my parts online from a vendor in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA. They sell the standard connectors for $7, Plugs for $17, Coils for $55 (each), and a "High Performance" coil set (of 8 including the connectors) for $600

Homer

Reply to
Homer