spark plugs

wow have you seen what variety of plugs are out there? I was looking for some for my E38, the manual reccomends NGK, I looked at Bosch and NGK but there's platinum, platinum2, platinum+4, iridium, iridium extreme and iridium1x - does anyone know what's best or because the iridiums are $10 each (CAN) just get those?

Maurice

Reply to
Maurice

Champion N9Y............I thought these fitted all cars.............they did when I was a lad.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Depends on the car. Some run great with fancy plugs, some run worse.

If the manual recommends NGK that's what I'd use absent overwhelming empirical evidence to the contrary.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I put NGK's in my 520i years ago and it ran rough. Changed for Bosch and it was fine. Latest ones have 4 outside terminals coming up like arches and you don't need to gap them. They work well. They were $10 Australian each- probably $5 US.- everything is roughly half over there.

Reply to
jom

I used to second guess the engineers and try to do different things with my plugs. I've decided that the engineers know better than I, and now I select exact replacements for my plugs. I might go for Platinum, but I always select the single-electrode plugs if that is what my car came with.

I once bought a set ot plugs from the catalog, then went home and installed them. The car ran like shit, and took me hours to trouble shoot. I could barely drive it to the shop where they put it on the scope. It turns out that my factory plugs were something like 123C-xxs, and the replacement plugs were 123-xxs. The "C" was a very important character -- it meant that the plug was the "high output" type instead of the standard type. Now, I pull a plug, and drive a different car to go buy more just like it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland