Steering squeaky noise, 1989 325i: what is it?

My 1989 325i has for the last couple of months been making a slight squeaky noise, which seems to come from the front bottom; not brakes, it's a different sound, seems to be associated with steering. I had
run out of steering fluid around that time, then added STP fluid by mistake, then removed it and added ATP fluid. At first the sound lasted for just a second, and could only be heard after at least half an hour of driving, particularly after making a short turn on an incline. Now it seems that the sound occurs after the steering motion is over, or sometimes without even the steering motion, and lasts for about five seconds. This doesn't happen all the time; just once or twice during a half hour ride, usually at slow speeds right after starting, or after getting off the freeway. It never happens at high speed. I asked my mechanic to check it over for anything obvious, and he didn't find anything. Does anyone know what this might be? Does this have to do with the steering or axle or something? Thanks for your help!

to be a leaky pump. The use of incorrect fluids can quickly lead to the demise of any system in a BMW, as this is what goofed up my PS pump. Other than the power steering pump, check your rack and pinion steering system for any broken or loose connections

Is the steering pump expensive to fix? And if it is that, or a rack and pinion system problem, could it lead to a sudden worsening, so that I'm stranded on the road? I don't want that to happen. In Japanese cars I used to have to fix cv joints all the time; but I think that used to make a clatter, not a squeak.