Steering wheel and braking

Guys

1994 325 convertible. When braking I can feel a small 'jerk' through the wheel for the first second then all is fine.

If I take my hands off the wheel and press the brakes I can see the wheel kick around to the right by about 1 inch then it kicks back to the original position. Braking after that is smooth etc.. No wobble or vibration and car slows in a straight line...

Any clues please?

Thanks

Ged

Reply to
ged.clink

alex.doerstling

Reply to
adder1969

Does this happen every time you apply the brakes or is it only sometimes? Does it only happen after you have just backed up a ways?

Reply to
Fred W

My guess is worn bushings on the front suspension.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Tony

Hi Ged

I've had this problem on two BMW's of similar ages to yours, each time it was due to wear on the front discs. As they wear down, a shoulder is left on the largest diameter of the discs and so when the brakes are applied, the pads - or sometimes the metal backing plate of the discs, contacts with this shoulder first which causes some inbalance but as the pads met the discs they even up again. To cure this you can either take off the shoulder with an angle grinder, or if they're too far gone then replace them. If your're in the UK you can buy ATE discs from Euro car parts at a much better price than BMW and they're the same thing!

Good luck Tony

Reply to
Tony

My vote (not knowing how many miles your car has on it) would be suspension bushings.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

But all cars do this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
SharkmanBMW!

Thanks guys

Will get it checked out at next service. Due in around 4,000 KM.

I am in Christchurch, NZ and we have a local BMW franchise as well as 2 independents.

Thanks aga> I agree again with e28guy,,, bushings.

Reply to
ged.clink