Steering wheel squeak, 1989 325i, fluid question

I noticed that the steering wheel fluid was almost completely gone - way below the minimum on the dipstick. I added some STP fluid, not a lot, just to bring it up. The manual and the reservoir cap both say use ATF fluid only. I now have the ATF fluid. Meanwhile, I hear the steering wheel squeaking when I turn. Did I mess something up by running so low on the fluid? Or by adding a bit of STP fluid? I was going to add some ATF fluid tomorrow to bring it to the maximum level. Thanks, anyone, for your help! I really appreciate it.

Reply to
Nancy_Teitelbaum

Nancy,

What sort of "STP" fluid did you add? Was it power-steering fluid? If so - you may want to have the steering system flushed ASAP.. it may damage the pump or the seals in your power-steering rack.

More info is needed - such as exactly what the fluid you added is and what year/model BMW we're talking about (they do make a number of models, and have for about 70 years now..)

Reply to
admin

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was regular STP power steering fluid. After driving on it a couple of days, it's now making the same squeakig sound when I turn the wheel as it did when it had run low. What should I do? It's a 1989

325i. The fluid level is now halfway between m> Nancy snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
Reply to
Nancy_Teitelbaum

You should bring the car to a garage so they can drain the power steering fluid and replace it with all of the correct type. You may damage the PS pump if you continue to drive it as it is. Of course you might not, too. It's your gamble.

Reply to
Fred W

You have far more serious issues than what type of fluid to add. You have a leak, and a bad one. For sure, fill with Dexron, but you need to get the leak diagnosed. It could be anything from a loose hose to a leaking rack.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Andrew

Reply to