Strange question -- window cleaning

I just got a great '03 E39 to replace my totalled '97 E39. The dealership I got it from was out of state so they put a temporary license plate (paper)
in the rear window. It came with strips of sticky tape at top and bottom. Just got my real tags and tried to take off the temp plate, but the strips of adhesive are stuck to the inside of the rear window. The problem is that the defroster elements are there too so I can't scratch or scrape off this adhesive.
ANY SUGGESTIONS? will any solvents work on the adhesive (e.g., alcohol or 'goo gone') without damaging the defroster elements?
I need the 'trick of the trade' on this one.
Thanks in advance. mark
mdd wrote:

Try "Goo Gone". You should be able to find it in the hardware or auto section in most department stores.
--
-Fred W

There are two kinds, one is 'safe for fiberglass' (I think it says that on the front) and the other is more agressive...
I always start with a less agressive remover "just in case".

Lemon juice is actually a good detergent for stuff like that. Test on a small surface first.
--
BBO

3-M adhesive remover first. If its ineffective, then goo gone. Great stuff, but its aggressive.
R / John

3m is pretty agressive -- don't spill it anywhere..

Peanut oil is a good solvent for most goo. Just leave it to soak for 5 or 10 minutes. You're pretty much guaranteed it won't harm anything.
Goo-gone is OK too.
With any of these solvents you need to give them a little time to soak in and work - don't expect a wipe-on-wipe-off thing. Just 5 or 10 minutes will do it, be gentle, and then a second go round to get the last of it.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

My experience is that Goo Gone works more or less instantly.
--
-Fred W

WD-40. Spray on a small cloth square, then wipe away the goo. Far less aggressive than Goo-Gone.

I would try hot air from a hairdryer or similar. Then wipe off carefully with water/alcohol. on paper.

But be careful not to wipe off the element tracks.
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:43:39 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"

That might be the least concern.
Evaporating alcohol and a heat gun in a confined space? Sounds incredibly dangerous...

Smart guy... Yes, it would of course be dangerous if you didn't follow my advice. FIRST the dryer THEN the WATER/alcohol (meaning mixture - 30% alcohol will do), Just in order not to get a lawsuit - don't drink the alcohol (at least not with the water) and dont use a heat gun powered by inflammable gas (propane etc). I beleive you need a temperature of apx 160 F (70 C)....
Safe one you can get: Olive oil, yes plain cooking olive oil. Rub with a cloth damped on it for about 3 minutes (gently), then remove oil with rubbing alcohol.