Strut Question

Several months ago, I replaced the front struts on my 97 328 with Bilstein Touring struts. Until the last month or so, they were stiff enough that I really could not push the front of the car down at all by leaning my full weight on it. Just noticed this week that I can now easily push the front of the car down about an inch or so - i.e. the struts have softened up quite a bit.

Is this normal? Wasn't sure if I was noticing a handling change as I came back from a trip last Sunday night - hard to tell when things happen in a gradual manner.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Unless you are actually racing the car this is way too stiff.

Springs and dampers are all about keeping the wheels on the road and ride.

Too stiff (as above) and the whole car (or end of it anyway) will bounce up and down and the wheels will loose contact with the road when the chassis bounces up. To experience this first hand try a go cart.

Too soft and the wheels will boggle about in the wheel arches and loose contact with the road when they reach the extremes of their travel. To experience this first hand try an American Limo.

Just right and the wheels will stay in optimal contact with the ground while transmitting minimum deflection and energy to the chassis. The main benefit will be improved handling, with a better ride to boot.

On a very smooth racing track a very stiff suspension is best. On typical public roads the "just right" option is best.

On straight US city streets with mega potholes sometimes the very soft can be useful.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton