Stupid design decisions

Page 2 of 3
JRE wrote:

I'm kind of thinking the same thing. I'm even thinking about a Caddy (!) for my next car. The upcoming CTS looks pretty good, on paper.

Lots of cars look good on paper. It's only when you drive one can you tell if it's the one for you. Before buying my E46 in 2003, I test drove all the usual suspects and none of them even came close in terms of handling and interior ergonomics. It looks like ergonomics are out with the E90...that leaves the handling which is still supposedly the best in class.
Anoop
anoop wrote:

Yeah, lots of us Bimmer owners can relate to that... 8)
When I test drove my 323, I thought "this car is absolutely F$*#ing perfect" in the way it drove. So lively, so compliant, so accurate, so fun!

"dizzy" wrote

Solves the problem of having to deal with dangling, rattling keys while driving. Sure, you could achieve the same by not putting the ignition key on the same key chain as some of your other house/office keys, but then if you keep it separate, you may lose it or forget it more easily.
All your other rants - I agree with. I'm glad my e39 still has the old-fashioned oil dipstick. Apart from checking the oil level, it also allows me to use an oil extractor which is very convenient.
Pete

Despite having several keys on the chain, I've never found the things to be annoying. OTOH, my wife has an array that would make any jailer proud. If your key chain is like hers, I begin to understand.

I have access to a lift. Extractors don't do a great job with the oil I'd like to remove the most, that nasty stuff that lingers in the bottom of the pan. Maybe its meaningless paranoia. The side benefit is I get to do a thorough undercarriage inspection in a comfortable position.
R / John
"John Carrier" wrote

I just have 3 other small keys on the same chain. They're not super-annoying, but I'd still prefer if they weren't dangling above my knee.

In my experience, an extractor removes just as much oil as traditional drainplug removal. Actually, I would have to keep the drainplug out for hours to get as much oil out as the extractor can pull out in 15 minutes or less.
I don't have any nasty stuff at the bottom - if I did, it would have clogged up my oil extractor tubing. The key is to get the oil warm (but not superhot) before extraction. If you have nasty stuff that's so stubborn that the extractor won't pick it up, then it will most likely not flow out on its own through the drainplug either, me thinks.
Pete

Doesn't make sense. At some point the extractor starts sucking air as the sump level has reached the point where the extractors tube is no longer completely immersed in oil ... no more extraction. If that's a level a few mm above the bottom of the sump and you're happy with it good for you. Meanwhile the oil will continue to flow to the drain plug. Gravity is generally more reliable than suction.
I generally wait until the oil flow goes from a thin stream to a drip. I suspect that's long after any extractor is going to be pulling oil from the sump. And yes, I drive the car and drain oil that's quite hot from sump. (Oh, I can here the exclamations from somewhere that I'll induce thermal shock when I pour room temperature oil into the relatively warm/hot engine.)

My guess (admittedly, I haven't seen an extractor tube inserted into a sump with a window in it to see how deep it goes) is that the oil extractor doesn't begin to reach the scum that accumulates in the bottom couple mm of the engine. That's particularly true if you adhere to the oil service indicator.
OTOH, its far better than trusting the clowns at some speedy oil service drive-through.
R / John
"John Carrier" wrote

Isn't it possible there are some crevaces in the oil pan that are below the drain plug level and therefore can't completely drain? I don't know. I'm just asking.

All I can say is that after I use the extractor, I can put in full 7 quarts of oil into my 530i to reach the full mark on the dipstick. The same if I let the drainplug out for a few hours. Not very scientific, but I'm happy with it. You will never take 100% of the oil out unless you take the engine apart and wipe all components dry anyway.

Yeah, even my specialized BMW mechanic couldn't do it right. I watched him do my oil change, and I will never let him do it again. He took the drainplug out. Let it drain for 5 minutes, then put the plug back in. Then he proceeded to open the oil filter compartment to replace the filter. At that point of course all the oil that was still trapped up there drained down to the oil pan... and of course staid there. As a result, he was only able to put it 6 and 1/4 quarts of new oil in before he reached the full mark. No thanks.
Pete

There are two sets of oil sensors, Genius. And if they both fail, you get a message. OK? Would you like a dipstick for your gas tank?
And listen, door strips don't stop door dings anyway.
Why push-button start? Because it is next to impossible to hot wire the car.
I-Drive could be better, but it's really not very hard at all. Unless you can't run a computer.
Here's a solution for you: Don't buy a new BMW. And since all the other makes are copying BMW, you might want to just forego any new cars.
I know someone who has an '81 LeCar you might fancy. None of the weird BMW technology you hate, and an added plus to boot: A manual choke!
Now that's livin', right Sport?

If you run out of gas, the car lives to drive another day. Oil? There are folks who like to run oil near max capacity and monitor its level and consumption regularly. You can't do that if all you have is a sensor and learn it's a quart down or more after the fact. OBTW, BMW sensors aren't the cars strong suit.

They stop a few. There's no defense against an SUV driver who throws a door open until something stops it. But given Toyota's and other manufacturer's styling direction, it would appear Bangle was right and most of the BMWCCA membership was wrong.

With the outgoing (E-39, E-46) coded key design it's next to impossible also. So you've got this lump that fits into dash OR you've got this lump in your pocket. And then you push a button.

A lot better. Audi seems capable of achieving "better."

Copying how? Bangle butts perhaps.

The trend in automobile design is toward more and more content. Sometimes that "more" winds up being less (active steering?). Sometimes the marque's interpretation of "more" is lame (BMW's trailing edge of technology Nav systems).
R / John

None of the three BMWs I've owned have consumed appreciable quantities of oil. My present one never needs topping up between scheduled oil changes - it barely gets down halfway between marks on the dipstick. So you get to know how much a car uses. I'd rather still have a dipstick but I'm willing to bet the majority of owners never check their oil these days so a warning system is necessary. I'd guess in future it will also assess the quality of the oil to determine when it needs changing and this will provide a self test at each engine start up.
--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

London SW

Indeed. But do the latest generation of 'M' engines still consume a deal of oil but have no dipstick?

I'm old enough to remember dipsticks for gearbox and rear axle - and having to top up the battery every week. Things change - and to me the removal of the engine dipstick is simply to be expected. My main dealer claims not to use one when changing the oil - their machine simply dispenses the correct quantity for each engine.
--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Not to Dave specifically: So is blind trust given or earned? I don't believe in blind anything, nor unconditional love. Those are things people use to take advantage of others.
Bill in Omaha '86 535i
Bill wrote:

My motorcycle loves me unconditionally.
--
-Fred W

Many years ago I read that if Merc engineers got their way -- knowing how most of their clients are (not) interested in what is under the bonnet -- the only gauges would be fuel and mph...
Nothing else is necessary
DAS
"Dave Plowman (News)" < snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

Like the original Mini?
--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

I can remember back in '74 the only dials in a merc were the speedo, temp, oil and fuel + idiot lights for Ign/batt charging and handbrake.
They had to liven things up to sell the cars against BMW, FORD OPEL/VAUXHALL etc.
Steve

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 21:41:36 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@clara.co.uk wrote:

In the late 60s or early 70s, I bought a well-used Fiat 500 as a cheap runabout for the then-SWMBO. It was a hoot to drive.
The clutch was shagged when I bought it, but all I did was put stacks of bricks under the engine, unbolt the bellhousing and then roll the car forward leaving the engine sitting on the bricks ready for a new clutch. Cost me about twenty quid as far as I recall. Reassembly is a simple reversal of that process. A bit of a simplification, but not that much.
That car had a speedo and a low fuel idiot light. That was it for the dashboard instrumentation.
--
Dan.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I bet this "billbrickel" cretin is one of them right-wingers who has a "America: Love it or Leave it" bumper sticker. Too stupid to understand that there's a middle ground.