Synchronizing the sunroof

The sunroof in my 325xi has found a new "closed position" that is about an inch shy of really closing. I can use the control to move it to "raised" and then close it, and that works, but it's a clumsy solution. Is there anyway I can correct the synchronization of the closed position to the correct location?

Ed Presson

Reply to
Ed Presson

If it's an E30, there's a mechanical cam in there which has slipped, or the switch itself is bad.

If it's post-1997, there may be a recovery and reset mode. Press in and hold the sunroof close button, and keep holding it... you may have to hold it as long as five minutes while the computer goes through its business and opens and closes everything repeatedly and figured out where all the positions are.

If that doesn't work get the crank that comes with the toolkit and crank the thing to the right position by hand.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

It depends a bit on the model, but this may happen after the battery is disconnected.

On my E38 going through a full cycle of fully up (pressing for a while after it reaches the position), down and fully open usually sorts things out.

If not return it to a closed position, pull the fuse, reinsert it and try again.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

It depends a bit on the model, but this may happen after the battery is disconnected.

On my E38 going through a full cycle of fully up (pressing for a while after it reaches the position), down and fully open usually sorts things out.

If not return it to a closed position, pull the fuse, reinsert it and try again.

Thanks for the help.

Ed Presson

Reply to
Ed Presson