Synthetic Oil

Page 2 of 3

$100 for an oil change???? What do you get for $250? I hope it includes dinner and movie at least. --scott

"Scott Dorsey" wrote

Let's see... the 550i must take at least 8 quarts of synthetic oil. Figure at least $6/qt plus $10 for the filter, so that gives you about $60. That leaves about $40 for maybe half hour or 0.3 hour of labor which sounds about right, depending on who does the labor. My local indy shop charges $86/hour. My dealer charges $130/hour. Welcome to the world of BMW.
I change my own oil on my 530i, but between actually changing the oil, buying new oil and returning the used oil, I probably waste at least an hour of my time if not more. If there was someone I could pay $40 to do it, I would do it gladly. The problem is, most places will rush with the oil change, not wait for the old oil to fully drain, underfill or overfill, and other such neusance. So I just prefer to do it myself. At least I have a peace of mind that it's been done right.
Pete

And at $90+ per barrel of crude, I doubt you can still get BMW synthetic for $6 - even after the BMWCCA discount offered by many dealers! If Scott wants to know the difference between an Oil Service and an Oil Change, he needs to RTFM.
Tom K.

The cheapest I've found Mobil 1 5W/30 for (taking that as a bench mark) in the UK is the equivalent of $17 a quart. I now see why you guys change oil with abandon. ;-)
--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

I think I pay $4.50/qt for Castrol Syntec (the 5W-40 variant) when I get 25 gal or more. For $17/quart you can even get a passable Scotch. --scott

I can buy a 6-pack of that at Costco for around $25. Even the 0W/40 that meets the BMW long-life standards is only around $8/quart at the local Shuck's auto supply.
FloydR

Check your local WalMart for Mobil 1 0W-40 in 5 qt jugs. Price is under $30.
In article

Check the actual spec of that oil. Mobil 1 isn't just one oil. And there's more to an oil than the viscosity rating.
--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

But he specifically mentioned the M1 0w-40. That particular M1 grade meets the BMW spec.
Pete

Exactly. The 0W-40 meets ACAE A3 B3/B4 and "BMW Longlife 01" None of the other available weights of Mobil 1 do so.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx
FloydR
wrote

But interestingly, BMW's current oil is 5W30 formulated by the folks at Castrol. I think you can be quite safe replacing it with Mobil 1, particularly if you're not enamored with 15,000+ change intervals.
R / John
"John Carrier" wrote

But it's not the actual grade that matters. A variety of grades can be used, as long as they meet the BMW specs... 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40...
I'm currently running Castrol 0w-30 in my 530i.
Pete
AHHAaaa! I love hearing you guys in the US!. Here in the UK the right oil for my e46 coupe (BMW longlife01) is 45 for 4 litres, the basic other oils are all at most 45 for 5litres, and the car needs 6 litres. Also - no free oil changes at BMW here! -and they charge 80-140 per hour. So and oil change is pushing $500 with filters and disposal of waste oil. Ain't they sweet.
Chipping in - the 5w30 or whatever is important but you also need to look at the SAE, A1, B2, CF etc codes on the oils. I beleive this is something to do with the purity. Same as tolerance on Unleaded-97 and unleaded-99 (99% goodstuff).
I've heard BMW Longlife 01 wasn't up to the job when they went to synthetic and extended life. That's why ther'e BMW Longlife04 now.
Also - here's a thought - everytime I start the car I lose 25 miles off my service interval. Assuming I start the car twice every day, ove a year thats 15,000 miles.
FYI I'm actually driving 30 miles to work each day, 60m round trip but it's mainly cruising at 80. Ahem I mean 70.mph (At least one benefit to the UK)
SNIP
FYI I'm actually driving 30 miles to work each day, 60m round trip but it's mainly cruising at 80. Ahem I mean 70.mph (At least one benefit to the UK)
With all the photo-radars in th UK? Generally, you can cruise around 80 in most of the US if the trucks and the left-lane nazi's don't clog things up.
R / John
"roy" wrote

Interesting. I guess the service calculator on your car is more complex than on mine. In my case, it only takes into account the amount of fuel burned.

So usually, how many miles can you go before the service light comes on?
Pete
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I prefer using Pennzoil and have it on both my cars. Works great in the cold, harsh climate of Norway. My cars regularly see temperatures below -20C during winter...
Oil is not where you want to save those pennies. My 2 cents worth.
--
Lighthouses are more helpful than churches. -- Benjamin Franklin

Eight quarts of synthetic. That's crazy.
On the E28, which has a pain-in-the-neck canister placement and needs a special tool to easily get the canister out from the top without burning yourself (a wooden rod with a loop of rope on it), I can do the full oil change in 15 minutes, including time to get the ramps out of the garage. Even on the 2002, it doesn't take me half an hour to do a full oil change including greasing all the fittings.
But it's true, I'm not dumping eight quarts of synthetic in each time.

I think the last time I had the 2002 done at the dealer, they charged me $38 for it. That was... well... it was some time ago. --scott

How come I have never seen your 2002? My first BMW was a brand new 2002Tii in 1972.
Bob

It sits under cover pretty much all the time these days, and Mike says he'll kill me if I ask him to work on it because it's older than he is. However, it's not spouting oil like the E28 is... I am right now trying to figure out if I can get the oil pan off the E28 without pulling the engine completely.
It appears to be easier to change the transmission on the E28 than the oil pan gasket. Incidentally, I failed to get Mike's driver's seat to match the originals.... the upholstery shop wouldn't touch it and suggested I dye it myself... I got the job very even, but it's noticeably less red than the other seats in the car. I've been hitting the other seats with neatsfoot oil in hopes of darkening them up a bit. --scott

BMW dealers in the UK charge 12 gbp a litre for the BMW spec oil. So that's well over $100 for the materials alone.
But it makes absolutely no sense to pay top dollar for a long life oil then change it early. If you really must do 3,000 mile oil changes stick to a good quality dino or semi-synthetic. To the spec BMW used before they increased the service intervals.
--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*