Take a 600 mi road trip in a 1994 325i w/111K miles?

I'm female and 55 and plan to drive alone 600 miles over a span of 2 days to see my daughter in my 1994 325i w/111K miles on it. Easy warm terrain. Those around me (non-BMW's) are having a fit. I'm the original owner of the car and it has had impeccable maintnance. A safety inspection by the dealership in preparation of the trip was just performed. I'm holding out on buying a new X3 because I just learned about the Volvo XC60 to be released and it looks dreamy. Other than this trip, I run errands in this car. Since my daughter will deliver a baby I cant time a flight at the last minute. Am I so in love with my 1994

325i that I cant be objective? Am I over confident with the quality of this car? Thanks, M....
Reply to
moppysu

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

I don't see the problem. I take my 31 years young MG B for trips all over Europe every summer without extra messures. My '98 525 TDS has done well over 260.000kms and I use it for about 40.000km per years, also without troubels.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Go for it it's just getting broken in! Two months ago I dove my 88 325ix

1500 miles round trip in 4 days, never gave it a thought that there was already 217,000 miles on the car. My BMW just keeps adding up the total miles of fun....

Brad

88 M3 88 IX
Reply to
Brad

i did 3k around E Europe in 2 weeks, in exaclty the same car i bought 2 weeks before ,never missed beat even at 130mph and well over 100 for long distances where i could and 800-1000 miles in 1 dayx2

only problem i have no is a leaking water bottle which seems to be common but its a slow thing. car was comfy, not a problem

Reply to
Jules

im looking at finding a tds over my 525i as i need to do a 1000 miles a day many times a year, never had a diesel....are there any pitfalls with one likes yours? and whats the power/torque like? my petrol has done 400000km and the engine and box seem fine, just a bit thirsty and i want to mix in veg oil ;-)

Reply to
Jules

"Jules" schreef in bericht news:LYQuh.153040$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Pitfalls? Go only for full BMW service history cars. Check milega with former owner (s) Have the car tested before you buy. (Dekra is good) Stick with the service at the dealer. (after 3 years in my ownership the waterpump died, was replaced befor so now it was a case of waranty)

I only use real diesel with my 525. There are lots of reports on the side effects of veg.oil on the delicate injection systems of modern cars. Lots of carproducers have a clause in there waranty papers telling you thats there is no waranty over the use of veg.oils. AND.... fuel consumption is about 25% higher with veg.oil compared to diesel. I had a Opel Corsa Dsl and just used veg.oil from the Lidl and Aldi markets to drive it. Milage 12ltr /100km and on diesel, 8ltr /100Km.

Lowdown torque when the engine is cold is a little disapointing but no problem. Fuel consumption on long streches is about 7,1 ltr/100km thats good for an automatictransmission and aircoed car (with my quick rightfoot)

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Why are you worried. Is it because you are female? The car won't attack you or rape you. Has it let you down in the past - If NO then why should it now?

My E38 7 series V8 was impeccably maintained until I bought it then only oil changes and ongoing repairs as and when. Ok! I used to be in the motor ?Auto trade but haven't touched a car in anger for neigh on 15 years but because of what I know I don't worry about things and don't get ripped off.

Even now I do not take any special care/inspection other than a good clean and emptying of the trunk/boot and simply jump in with the luggage and drive the

1000+ miles to the South of Spain and back again (from the UK that is)

BMW dealers cost $$$$$ and are not interested in OLD models here in the UK but elsewhere I cannot say. However - mechanically the BMW is like ANY OTHER car but I must say the electronics are a bit temperamental but if you haven't had problems then why should you have any?

The operative word here is CONFIDENCE. And LOVE - Yes love - have you got empathy with your car, do you love your car, are you in tune with your car-------- If so it won't let you down - however start neglecting it and let it get thirsty and hungry (Fuel, Oil, Tire pressure, Temperature etc) it won't like it.

Go for it baby - you won't regret it and have some FUN FUN FUN. Ignore all the doubters - they are simply jealous that you are going and not them.........

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

As others have said, it's just getting broken in! I also have a 1994

325i, with 106,000 miles. We rout> I'm female and 55 and plan to drive alone 600 miles over a span of 2
Reply to
morris.jeffery

thanks, i couldnt afford a diesel, so picked up another 525i petrol salloon....oh well

Reply to
Jules

I am a 55-year old male, and would not hesitate to take my car 600 miles. I'd make the trip in a day ...

I drove my '94 325i from San Diego to the Grand Canyon in a day, with 3 other adults and all of our stuff in the trunk. Well, the adults were in the seats. My car was closer to 200,000 miles than 115k.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

wrote

Our oldest son took our '91 525i, with around 145K miles on it, to school 1050 miles away. The only problem he had in 2 years, a half-dozen trips down and back and more was the infamous water pump problem, and oxygen sensors going out (which isn't a disabling problem.) It now has 175K on it, still gets 30mpg, uses a bit of oil. Same engine that you have (although I believe you have the newer VANOS engine).

Go for it.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers