The steering wheel on the BMW goes round and round,round and round,round and round

E30,what the heck happened???Thanks in advance

Either the wheel is loose on the shaft (and you have ground ff the splines) or you have snapped a linkage.
I would not recommend driving the car...

splines)
I'll go one further, I recommend NOT driving the car.
Either the steering column is broken at one of the joints, the steering wheel knurls (splines) have been worn off because the wheel is loose, or the steering rack is broken.
Thanks fellas,I was asking on behalf of a friend that called me from a remote location at 1:30 A.M.,as was I.It was a broken column as you guys said!Thanks again.