thinking about buying a e39 m5 2002-2003

Hey guys,
Are there any E39 M5 owners here?
I am thinking about buying an 02 or 03 E39 M5 with less than 60K miles on it. I was looking on ebay and seems like you can pick up a decent
one for less than 40gs.
What do you guys think, is it worth the investment? I want to keep the car for about 6 to 8 years?
What kind of things should I look out for.
thanks - Nick
I used to own an 02 M5, and it was a great car. The repair costs are reasonable, running costs are not . This car is really meant to be driven hard and fast, so find out where your nearest race track is. Take the car to an EXPERIENCED Bmw technician for a complete inspection, The transmission is known to have quality issues so if any gears are sluggish, I would heed the warnings. I really wish that I would have kept my M5, but my 1997 840CI (22K mi ) is a lot more forgiving on the kidneys and surely more well behaved in traffic. On Jan 28, 8:08 pm,