Thinking of buying a semi-wrecked 1994 7401

Hi All, I found a 94 740i that has some slight front end damage. I'm only familiar with the E36 3 and similar E32 5 series cars.

Here are links to pictures of the damage :

Please any input would be appreciated. I'm supposed to make a final decision TONIGHT. I'm hoping to be able to pull off the bumper and maybe the fender liner and drive it home. I really cannot afford to tow it behind a U-Haul truck. (They want @550.00 for the truck plus car dolly!)

Please give me as MUCH info as possible. (Things to look for, etc.) I'm just not sure what's hidden behind that corner. Etc.

Thanks, Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

"Wayne K." wrote

If you can't afford $550, you shouldn't buy it. That's at least $3000 body damage (going by the $1000/panel metric), you don't know if the engine is a nikasil or alusil engine, you don't know if the transmission is going to go soon, the APS/Brake system seems to be somewhat involved, who knows what else.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

walk away... there are perfectly good ones for sale.... ones that you can test-drive etc.!

keith

Reply to
keith

If they're selling it in this state, it means it's not economic to repair it. So you'd need to get a pro examination to know exactly how bad the damage is. A cheap way might be a four wheel alignment check - at least if the suspension is undamaged it might make a DIY project using secondhand parts to repair.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even if he breaks it he should get $550 for the bits that are OK.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Apparently not *that* familiar. E32 is a 7 Series.

If you can't afford to haul it home, you can't afford to fix it.

-- C.R. Krieger (BT, DT)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger