Thinking of getting a 1994 740i - Input wanted

Hello All, I've found a nice semi-low mileage 1994 740i. It has @101k miles. I believe that it does have the dreaded Nikasil engine, but being a low mileage Yankee Borne car (New Hampshire - home of Low Sulphur fuels) it is not showing signs of trouble....yet. (Yes it has passed a leak down test)

The tires are less than 1 year old, new water pump, new plugs, and new coil packs. Many new suspension parts and the alignment is less than 6 months old. The brakes are less than 1 year old. The interior looks very good (No bolster wear). The "only" mechanical repair "needed" is the driver side door lock actuator needs to be changed.

I'm getting the car for 4,500.00. It's Black with Tan leather interior. Any constructive input on what to check would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

Sounds like a really good deal. So good it makes me suspicious...

Where in NH are you located? I would encourage you to bring it to a knowledgable shop to have a prepurchase inspection sone. I bring my cars to 3D in Hudson for anything I do not wish to tackle on my own. Dan Maynard is a straight shooting independant. He'll tell you like it is and won't overcharge you, ever.

Then again, for only $4500 you couldn't go too far wrong...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I would not sweat the Nikasil engine since it passed a leakdown test and would already be showing problems if it was susceptible....nice car...i would go for the e38 but for that price go for it...

Reply to
mark at createhavoc.com

My friend has a 93 730i V8 E32 and I have a late 94 E38 730i. E38 feels a good bit more agile and the toys are nicer :-) I particularly like the way the cruise control is integrated into the steering wheel and the the way the CD changer is run through the MID. It feels a much more modern car.

E32 is a little quicker as it's lighter, but there's very little in it.

Reply to
John Burns