Throttle response question

I've got a 1995 318Ti with an M42 4 cylinder and here is my question. The car runs perfectly in every way except this. When I first start it up in the morning, the throttle is sluggish until I hit 3500 to 4 grand on the tac. Then its perfect for the rest of the day. I had a 1991 318 with an M42 and it was the same for all 7 years I owned that car. Any ideas? I don't think I need to fix anything, I'd like to just have an explanation.

Thank you in advance.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Sounds normal to have a "sluggish" cold throttle response given the richer fuel mixture. Of course, revving your engine to 3,500~4000 when cold isn't the best path to a long motor life.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

I usually let it warm up first and always notice the response issue while that's happening. I know it can't be terrible but it seems weird.

Thanks.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Hello Glenn,

What I do, I take the cold air valve out and clean it with some cleaner. So that the mechanism is not blocked by rubbish.

To find the thing look for a rubber tube from the airintake which passes the throttle valve. In between is the cold air valve, it has 2 hoses in and 1 power cable in. Size around 10 cm long, 4 cm wide, but that's in my car.

Best regards, Marcel, '92 525i 337.xxx km.

Reply to
Vollebregt, M

Thank you very much. i will look for that.

Have a great day!

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn