Timing belt on 1994 E36 320i 6cyl UK. When to change?

My brothers cambelt just went on his old Sierra and it got me a little scared. I've got 144K on the clock of my 320i and had the car from 79K. No belt changes AFAIK. Should I get one done or am I worrying too much.
Cant work out if this uses a belt or chain.
I had the drive belts changed last month due to squealing - but not sure if that was helped along by a messy oil change.
Lordy

It's a chain, and they don't need changing. The older M20 engines had belts and had to be replace religiously (at 60-75K miles).
FloydR
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:36:06 -0700, Floyd Rogers wrote:

Cheers, I can relax now. !
Your E36 uses the M50 motor, this engine has a timing chain, not a belt. In a perfect world, it's a life item. In a not so perfect world, it'll let you know when it wants to be changed.
Sorry, I'm in the States, and we don't have the 320, so I am not sure which motor you have. We get the 325 and the 318 (6- and 4-cylinder, respectively).

It should be a 24 valve and therefore a chain. The easy clue is that it's a twin cam - earlier belt driven 12 valve engines were single OHC.
--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?