Tips for removing E30 exhaust?

Page 2 of 2

Yes - have an exhaust fitted and they invariably fit new cheap steel nuts laying up problems for the future.

True - but broken studs don't always come out easily.
--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Christopher,
I was a professional mechanic for over two decades. In that time I have seen more than a few stubborn exhaust fasteners. Some of the worst ones only responded to a combination of penetrating lubricant and carefully applied percussion waves generated by an pneumatic hammer with a small drift tool attached. The force being applied at a shallow angle to one of the faces of the nut. If the threads are not too badly fretted, the nut should spin off easily after being "broken loose" with the hammer/drift tool. Worst case scenerio, you can torch them off, drive out the remainder of the studs and "through-bolt" them when you reinstall.
Best of Luck
Homer