Tire squirm

So where I live the roads tend to get 'runnels' or channels from progressive use of the road. I find that my 2001 e46 330Ci tends to squirm around in these excessively. I _think_ this is because the front
tires are 225 width while the rear are 245 and this difference causes this squirming around. In some cases it is rather disturbing and if a cop were behind me he might have some cause to think I've been drinking.
Anyone else experience this with a difference in tire width from front to rear?