Torque Specification for 325i

I want to help my friend to change the summer tires, anyone knows the nut torque for 2003 BMW 325i ?
Please help..

85 ft pounds.

Interesting, my local BMW independent, who only works on BMWS, only recommends 70 ft-lb.!

The problem with independents is that sometimes they are not up to date with the factory recommendations, and they work on older cars. Most BMWs built before 1990 probably had such low specs (heck I think for the 2002ti, it was only 60 lb-ft).
The factory recommendation for the E46 is 120 Nm +/- 10 Nm (88 lb-ft +/- 7 lb-ft).

It depends on the wheels. In the US where all E46's were/are light-alloy wheels, 85 lb. is the spec. per the manual.
You should ask him why he recommends 70. For any car that is on the very low side.
Let me clarify, for my 1990 535i, 100K, 5speed, my independent recommends 75 ft-lb. Hey, why risk warpping the brake rotors....

If you think the spec will warp them, then why think 75 won't? Hell, get the kid down the block to hand-tighten them and be certain they won't warp :^)

Don't be silly. The torque clamping the discs to hub has no influencer on warping.
--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It can if the torque is uneven as the heat exchange to the wheel then becomes uneven. ...or so I have heard. Perhaps this is but another URL(Urban Automotive Legend)?
-Fred W

Torqueing itself won't warp rotors, but the expansion from heat buildup will, and to what I have read and heard the torque spec is devised to allow expected expansion without warping. I know on certain cars with certain composite rotors, the WJ grand Cherokee for example, torque levels at the lugs is a huge issue with keeping rotors true. So I don't think bfd's concern is unfounded, I just don't think it is well premised if the specified, or close to specified, torque input is used.
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Sure it does. Had no problem with my 328 when it was new. After the dealer took the wheels off during service, the steering wheel would jerk to one side as I applied the brakes when coming to a traffic light. Went back and told them to torque the wheels properly - no more problem. (Could have done it myself, but I was pissed) Turns out the dealer couldn't properly balance the tires either. I decided to end our relationship.
Frank

I'm sure they were happy to see the back of you too. ;-)
--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

bfd wrote:

You risk warping the rotors mostly when you have uneven torquing. I don't think 10 ft/lbs one way or another will make any difference. You toirque wrench is not likely to be that accurate anyway... Repeatable, yes, but absolute accurate, no.
-Fred W
Why risk the lug bolts falling out?
The spec is 85 ft lb.

I'll take the risk of warping the brake rotors over the risk of the wheels falling off.