Trading my 2004 M3m, but what for?

Hi,
I have had a 2004 M3 Coupe for a couple of years now and have decided to get rid, problem is I don't know what to go for!
The main reason is the age of the car and no warranty anymore, I know
repairs bills are going to be expensive when they start.
I don't know if a 335i Coupe would be enough, it's not quite an M3, but then again it's half the insurance and probably half the petrol costs, so perhaps it's worth it? Problem is they're not on the used market yet (335i Coupe Sport).
I've had Audi's before and didn't like the handing on the A4, felt a bit artificial.
The other alternative is to buy a warranty on my current M3, looking at about 650 a year for a very comprehensive policy, that doesn't get around the 1,400 it's costing me to insure it though.
Oh what a dilemma!
Of course that's a typo in the subject, it's an M3, not an M3m - whatever they are!
"Daz N" <darren (at) nicholl.me.uk> wrote in message

On Jul 13, 8:58 am, "Daz N" <darren (at) nicholl.me.uk> wrote:

your problem is reliability (a common problem with german cars, especially electrical system problems).
If you want a RELIABLE luxury car, why don't you look at Lexus, Acura or Infiniti? They are much more reliable than bmw or mercedes! They all make some very nice cars too.
Just a thought,
Oskar
You may be right, but as a writer in the UK Sunday Times motoring section (In Gear) wrote this week (in one of the 10 Commandments of Motoring):
Don't buy a Lexus. You really want a Mercedes, so buy it.
DAS
news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:58:53 +0100, "Daz N" <darren (at) nicholl.me.uk> wrote:

Where do you live? How old are you? Driving history?
1400 is F&%"?ing expensive even in London!
If in London go for a TAXI elsewhere a Renault Clio 1.3 seems about right with your insurance premiums.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:58:53 +0100, "Daz N" <darren (at) nicholl.me.uk> wrote:>I have had a 2004 M3 Coupe for a couple of years now and have decided to get

    It's out of warranty - is it also paid for? I doubt these *possible* repair bills will run as much as 4 years of car payments, which will be a sure thing. Is there any reason concrete to think your car will be expensive to maintain out of warranty? Has it been unreliable while you've had it?     A new 335i will run you mid-$40s over here. That's a hell of a lot of M3 repairs.     epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:58:53 +0100, "Daz N" <darren (at) nicholl.me.uk> wrote:

My Friend in Florida has swapped his 2006 M3 for a Red Corvette with a nice big V8 gas guzzler engine to boot
DAS,
What I don't get is the idea that you perceive petrol consumption to be high in a 2004 M3. I get 20 (city driving) to 28 (highway cruising at 70mph) mpg which is quite good. This is comparable to other compact cars that don't have near the performance of the M3. I would guess the newer 335i would be similar with the inline 6 and twin-turbo. But I cringe at the thought of what the new M3 will be with a V8 at 400hp.
My insurance is not that high (I have a 2002 M3 convertible). But I'm over 40 and married and I live in an area with a relatively low crime rate.
My maintenance has been quite low (virtually nil since I bought it in 2004). I am due for inspection II, however.
I agree that any maintenance on a car that is paid off will be a lot less than several years of payments. I do not see giving up my M3 for a very long time (which is why I have been able to convince the wife to let me buy upgrades like Bluetooth, etc) tpedwards Huntsville, AL, USA
Daz N wrote:

Thanks to everybody for replying.
A little bit more history...
I'm 34, live near Manchester but in quite a low risk insurance area (OL postcode), have 9 years no claims and 0 points, a friend of mine has a 2003 M3 and his insurance is similar priced so I don't think my premiums are high for the type of car.
Just as the car was running out of warranty it went for it's MOT at BMW, everything was fine. 4 weeks later it needed an oil change so it went back again. After the oil change they told me the front differential was going, front wishbone and a couple of other bits, quoted me 2,700 to put it right. I was a bit annoyed to say the least as it had been in weeks earlier when in warranty. I complained and they agreed to supply the parts if I paid the labour, so it cost me 400.
2 weeks later the battery light came on, took it to a local garage that I know and alternator had gone, got it repaired and sorted, 185.
Previously I've had 2 snapped rear coil springs which were 100 each.
So a few things wrong and the bill could have been over 3,000 already.
I went for a test drive in a Lexus IS250 Sport, nice car, lots of toys. Nowhere near as fast as my M3 but anything over 85 on the motorway is dangerous territory anyway. I think I'm convinced.
I can get almost a straight swap for mine if the money is right, car would be a 56 plate (Sept 2006) so has 2 years warranty left. Insurance quote at 550.
Looks like the M3 is going on Ebay motors :-((
Thanks again
Daz

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:51:42 +0100, "Daz N" <darren (at) nicholl.me.uk> wrote: [...]

[...]
Front differential? On an M3?!
Whoops! :-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd