Trans service

My brother has aquired an E39 530i with about 110K miles on it and he wanted to get the auto transmission serviced at the dealer. They told him he
had a lifetime fluid in the trans and it never needs changing.
He looked on Roadfly and has received differing opinons as to change the fluid and filter. Some opinions say leave well enough alone and others say change the fluid.
What is the general consensus on this forum for service recommendations?
lifetime really should mean 100k miles. it should be done every 50 after that.... some will wait untill it's too late. I have lifetime on my 540 and my 330... I had to rebuild the 540 because it was never touched and problems arose... the 330 I will never let get close to 100k... maybe 70k, so I have 20 to go.

BMW backed away from "lifetime fill" in 2002 and now recommends 100,000 miles. That's probably too late. OBTW, the OEM fluid (and I'm not sure anybody elses ATF is appropriate) is very expensive.
R / John
John Carrier wrote:

The lifetime fill fluid is not made by BMW. Just specified, and yes it is expensive...
--
-Fred W