Transmission Light went on and gear. indicator stuck in 'S' and the car won't start

I was driving my '04 X3 (Automatic) and the transmission warning light went on, so I pulled over and put the car on Park turned off the engine. When I tried to turn the engine on, the gear indicator stuck
in "S" eventhough the transmission was in "P" and I was not able to start the car at all. I tried changing the transmission to "N" still no go, moved it down to the semi-manual the indicator changes from "S" to "M". Anyone ever had this problem before?
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, but sounds serious. In my experience (E39/46/83)., the Steptronics are pretty much bullet-proof.
Sounds like a sensor's has gone bad - if it were a mechanical fault, I don't think you would have been able to limp it home in M-mode.
Have you had it checked over yet?

The OP never said whether the car started. Generally the limp home mode is third or direct drive, for which none of the complexity is required.

I *think* there is still a starter inhibit switch etc operated mechanically by the selector lever and that would be my first check.
--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Well to be clear, the car never started and I had the car towed (for 40 miles, nonetheless!) Anyway, so I talked to the dealer about what happened and they seemed to be confused with what happened, and they just towed the car to be looked at. I'll update with more info! Thanks for the replies!