Transmission Only Works in Reverse - ATF Smells

My '91 735i has a broken transmission. Drive through first does not work - the transmission will only work in reverse. The ATF has a burnt smell.
Does anyone know what what the problem could be? Can you give me a
rough estimate as to how much it would cost to fix?

Sounds like the front clutch pack burnt out.
Because of the labour involved, it's usual to do a complete overhaul when this happens - it all has to be thoroughly cleaned including the torque convertor which is sometimes cheaper to simply replace.
--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

A rebuild if you pull it yourself will run you 700-1000. If you can do the work yourself, about 300-400. If you take it to a shop and they do everything, 2000+. Just estimates from my area (central Florida). You could also get another tranny (if you can find a good one) and just swap it out.
On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 02:09:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

or do a MANUAL tranny swap, MUCH more desirable and will work forever... we have all had slushbox problems!

SharkmanBMW <sharkmanbmw at gmail dot com> wrote:

Manual boxes come with clutches that wear out too. As does the synchromesh.
--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

London SW

Same with an auto, I suppose. The clutches take more stress if hard driven.

It may still 'work' but not properly.

It depends on what breaks. If you get actual gear problems on a manual you have to replace all the internals to get it back to new - and that can cost.

Seems so.
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*