Trunk Light switch location

I have a BMW 323is and the trunk light stays on. We have to slam the trunk several times to get the light to go out and then we can lock the car w/remote.
If the trunk lid is up and I depress the trunk switch/plunger the light goes out and you can lock the car w/remote. If the trunk lid is near closed (less than 6 inches open) depressing the plunger has no effect. Like there is a second position switch somewhere that detects a slightly open lid.
Any thoughts on this or am I chasing a different problem.
Thanks
Sid..
Add pictures here
✖
Likely to be broken wiring in the trunk hinge area.
Brett Anderson KMS

Add pictures here
✖

Is that a simple circuit, I looked at the plunger/switch and it breaks the connection when the trunk is closed. I assumed this turned out the light. Does it do more ? Does it trigger some logic that turns out the light and reports the state of the trunk lid ?
Add pictures here
✖
I don't know how it is on the 325. I just can describe the Z3 coupé, hoping that this will help you. The switch is located just below the latch, refer to the picture http://download.yousendit.com/8DFF46154A8D6B81 Two small (~4mm) round nail heads like black clips can be visible through the clearance (see the arrow). For mounting, the switch slides into two key hole shaped slots. It is engaged by the inside. Nothing seems to clamp it. On my car, it happened to escape from the "key holes". The contact was randomly established. It's rather easy to fix it, passing the hand between the black cable and the panel. There's a specific position for the latch to allow the mounting. I can't remember if it needs to be open or closed.

Add pictures here
✖
On the doors, the switch is located inside the door latch. On my E36, the trunk latch has switches inside.

Add pictures here
✖
The plunger has worn so it's shorter than it's supposed to be. That's why slamming the lid deflects the metal and turns the light out. You can glue on an improvised cover of something plastic to make the plunger longer again. In the reverse condition if the phillips screw that holds the switch in is even slightly loose you will get no trunk light. I have a 325 and I can only see one trunk light switch to the left of the latch right next to the light. Happy motoring.
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 00:56:11 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"

Add pictures here
✖