Turn engine on and it just keeps reving max

Hi,

My brothers bmw e36 325i hasn't been used for 6 weeks. The battery was flat and we've started the engine, but it just revs at it's maximum. The accelerator pedal feels loose. Any ideas what may have happened?

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
news.altohiway.com

Accelerator stuck probably. Open the hood and pull the back. Maybe lube it a bit.

Reply to
JimV

Stuck open idle control valve?

Reply to
John Burns

It sounds like the throttle is stuck open. You need to raise the hood and look at the throttle linkage and I suspect you will see the problem.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Idle control only controls air, no way it could rev you to max.

Throttle cable/linkage/return spring are likely at fault.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

I agree. There is a Recall on something in this area too. The OP can take his VIN to his local dealership and they can determine if his car is affected by the recall, and if the recall was ever done.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The return spring on the accelerator pedal came adrift on mine once and cause the same thing.

Reply to
Cichla

Ouch - no lubrication for a month and a half, then an instant 6,800 rpm. I'm surprised the engine didn't seize/explode. The throttle is probably stuck open at the throttle body, leaving only the (rather weak, by comparison) gas pedal return spring to keep the pedal from simply flopping onto the floor. Unsticking the throttle at the engine end should restore the proper idle speed - if there's still anything left of the cylinder bores that is...!

Reply to
Andrew Thomas

put in gear - that should correct it !

Lubing the throttle linkage -- including cable -- is part of the Inspection I.

Reply to
J Strickland