Turn engine on and it just keeps reving max

Hi,
My brothers bmw e36 325i hasn't been used for 6 weeks. The battery was flat and we've started the engine, but it just revs at it's maximum. The
accelerator pedal feels loose. Any ideas what may have happened?
Thanks,
Andy
news.altohiway.com wrote:

it a bit.
Lubing the throttle linkage -- including cable -- is part of the Inspection I.

Stuck open idle control valve?

Idle control only controls air, no way it could rev you to max.
Throttle cable/linkage/return spring are likely at fault.
-Russ.

I agree. There is a Recall on something in this area too. The OP can take his VIN to his local dealership and they can determine if his car is affected by the recall, and if the recall was ever done.

It sounds like the throttle is stuck open. You need to raise the hood and look at the throttle linkage and I suspect you will see the problem.

The return spring on the accelerator pedal came adrift on mine once and cause the same thing.
--
Cheers

Rick

http://www.aqua-maniac.co.uk
Ouch - no lubrication for a month and a half, then an instant 6,800 rpm. I'm surprised the engine didn't seize/explode. The throttle is probably stuck open at the throttle body, leaving only the (rather weak, by comparison) gas pedal return spring to keep the pedal from simply flopping onto the floor. Unsticking the throttle at the engine end should restore the proper idle speed - if there's still anything left of the cylinder bores that is...!
put in gear - that should correct it !