Two questions about the BMW E46

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,
About 4 years ago, I bought a new BMW E46, 320d. Now, 4 years later, I've had a look in the trunk below the floormat and I've noticed that I do not
have a spare wheel. Nor do I have a little replacement tire.
Is this normal? I did buy the M Sports package which comes with the 18" alloys & tires, but I'd at least expected a small replacement tire...
My second question is about the toolkit that is attached to the trunk lid. If you open it, there are several tools in there, lodged in that little plank hanging from the trunk. Now I've noticed that there is a spare opening on top, with grips, so I suppose there should be some kind of tool there. Is there one, and if so, which one am I missing?
Thanks in advance,
Ikke
Lacking a spare, your car should have the mobility kit which includes (IIRC) an aerosol can of sealant and a cigarette lighter powered inflation pump. The idea is to seal the puncture with the goop, reninflate and limp home until you can replace the tire.
On the up side, most modern tires are pretty stout. Occasionally roadside debris (nails in a construction area) will cause a puncture or a slammed pothole or clipped curb can damage the sidewall. A spare would be nice, but evidently the 18x40x2xx won't fit in the same hole as the 17" variation.
R / John

Am I correct in assuming that this mobility kit would be stored in the same place in the trunk then? Because I've just had a look, and while there is actually a jack there, there is no tire, no mobility kit or box so something that could pass for such a kit...

The point to me is more whether or not the spare was once there - I've had an accident a while ago (someone hit my parked car), and I didn't trust the towing service one bit. So therefor I was wondering whether or not that's where my spare tire (and possible missing tools) were.
To me, neither spare nor mobility kit are of any use, actually. In the event that I do get a flat, I just call a taxi and call the service department to fix it all and bring the car home. It doesn't cost me a cent and it's the quickest way home (or to whatever place I'm headed).
Thanks,
Ikke

Some models for some markets did not have a spare wheel supplied not did they have the limp home kit. If you feel you need one after 4 years get an old alloy from a wrecker and stuff that in the trunk/boot.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in
<snip>

Thanks for the reply. But in my case, the question isn't so much whether or not there should be one for the future, rather then was there on in my car in the first place...
Ikke
Ikke wrote:

And the answer was no, with thesport package an 17" wheels the mobility nonsense was substituted for a spare tire.
So if your sleazy tow guy filched something it was the air pump.
--
-Fred W

Ask BMW. Give them your VIN and they should know. I would have said yes, especially if there is a jack. Not all the holes in the tool kit have tools in them even from the factory and in any case they're more for show than anything as they're made out of cheap stuff.

Changing a wheel without the lining up tool - and of course security bolt adaptor - would be tricky. FWIW, the tools don't look good but are made out of reasonable quality steel.
--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

This may sound like a stupid question, but are you <certain> you don't have a spare? Under the mat and the floor panel is there just a big empty space, or is there a large black plastic tray? If the latter, try removing the tray and if you're in luck ... Chris.
<snip>

First of all, Chris, there are no stupid questions.
Keeping in mind that first statement, I'll be in that distant corner over there where I'll remain in hiding until the laughter fades away. It'll take some time, I fear...
Thanks,
Ikke
PS: thank heavens I didn't post this on usenet... D'OH!!!

Could have been much worse - just imagine going back to the dealer to complain that someone had stolen the spare. The really dumb thing is that you cannot fit an 18" x 8J wheel into that hole.
On your second question - there are some tools that are dependent on fitted options (I seem to remember a handle to operate the electric sunroof if the motor fails; not sure if it applies to the E46), so you may have everything you need. There are certainly one or two gaps in my tray. If you want to post a list I'll be happy to check against my car.
Chris.
<snip>

Indeed, my appointment is tomorrow, so thanks again for saving me :)

True - so now I finally realise I have a spare, I can't use it!

Thanks for the offer Chris - I'll have a look in my car tomorrow and post a list of what I have.
Ikke
Ikke wrote:

I took you 4 years to get-around to looking in there? Okay....
My 2000 323 has a full-size spare.
<snip>

Why do you find that so strange? I've never had a flat tire, and even if I had one I wouldn't be tempted to change it, so I've never had a reason to check there...

Thanks for the info, I've found my mini-sized spare by now.
Ikke
Ikke wrote:

Hahah. That's just too funny (and typical).
So, lets just suppose there was a spare tire under the floor in your trunk. What do you suppose the air pressure would be in that spare tire when you needed it, after ignoring it for >4 years.
Doh!
Did you think the spare tire fairys would keep it pumped up?
--
-Fred W

My dealer checks it at every service and leaves a sticker on it with date and pressure. Or more likely just puts the sticker there. ;-) IIRC, they inflate it to above the normal. And I'd expect a new wheel and tyre to maintain that pressure even after 4 years.
--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Nope. But read again what I wrote: "even if I had one I wouldn't be tempted to change it". I've never changed a spare in my life.
If I *had* a flat tire, I'd call the service department of my insurance, let them sort it out and call a taxi and be on my way.
Ikke
Ikke wrote:

Wow. What a feeling of complete and utter dependance you must have. You also must live in a city and never venture out of its confines. In some (many) places in the world you'd be waiting a whole lot longer for that taxi than it would take to throw on a spare tire. ...assuming you are capable of turning a lug nut.
--
-Fred W

That's one way of looking at it.
I'm perfectly capable of changing a spare, as well as maintaining the basics of a car - but I figure since I'm already paying for the service, why not profit from it?
Ikke

Oh, and before I forget it - this is Europe, you'd struggle to find a place here where it takes a taxi more than 15 minutes to reach you :)
Ikke