Two questions about the BMW E46

Page 2 of 2

You must have time to burn and never leave the city?
--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

As I already replied to Fred W, this is Europe - a taxi is always nearby. You'd struggle to find a place where a taxi is more than 15 minutes away.
So it's faster to call the taxi, not to mention cheaper. Time is money, the taxi is free.
Ikke

Well I live in Europe and can think of plenty of places where a taxi is more than 15 minutes away. ;-)

But the insurance you pay for such a scheme costly? Personally I don't bother with even breakdown/recovery. And on the whole have saved money during the course of BMW ownership. Although my recent suspension collapse involved both changing a wheel and then calling out a breakdown when I saw what the problem was - and getting a taxi. ;-)
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

<snip>

The insurance is indeed very costly (at 8 years, I will have paid the car twice), but that doesn't matter.
I won't go into details, but it all boils down to this: even if I destroy my car myself, I get a new one. Instantly.
Which is nice to know ;)
Ikke
Ikke wrote:

<thread hijack in progress>
Which requires one to ask, how many times have you totaled one of your cars?
OK, maybe you don't have many cars, or haven't been a car owner all that long. So lets extend that question to: How many members of you family have totaled their cars.
And how many years have you been paying those exhorbitant insurance rates that will reimburse you for your totaled car (minus the deductible mind you)?
Auto Insurance is one of the biggest scams perpetrated on the general public of all times. And the kicker is, if you have a lien of any kind on the car your are *forced* to carry coverage by the lienholder.
This is one big reason that I never buy my cars on time (I pay cash only) and generally don't buy new ones.
--
-Fred W

I'm almost 30, have never totaled a car, and I have never caused an accident. Perfect driving record.
This car has had one scratch so far, and three minor dings because some (insert swear word) banged it on the parking lot.

I've been a car owner for about 8 years, this car I've had for 4 years. One car only, by the way.
My parents have never had an accident. I don't have any brothers, nor sisters.

Before I was 25, I payed double that. Since 25, this amount.
Please note that my car insurance does NOT have a deductible - hence the high amount. In the contract, there is an extra clausule which ensures me that the car will be replaced without cost. That means that I get the exact amount I paid for the car, including the registration fee.
Which unfortunately means that I'm a bit screwed since the E92 came out, since it's a bit more expensive :)

Auto insurance is required by law here - so I figured I'd just get the highest coverage available. This includes a full omnium, no deductible, and (don't know how to say it in english) full court expenses.
The reason I'm a big fan of that latter part, is that you can't loose your license, whatever prank you pull on the road. Get cought? Send in your team of lawyers (all expenses paid), and get off with a fine.
I'm not a native english speaker, I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by that last sentence.

I'm a bit different: all cars I've bought were paid cash as well (I never loan money, except for houses), and I always buy new cars.
Ikke

IIRC, not all tools are supplied to all markets. One such is the warning triangle.
--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *