Unexplained stalling

Have 1984 528i E28 289,000 Km. About 2 weeks ago engine died while driving. After about 1 minute motor restarted as if nothing was wrong. This happened several more times. Noticed that the tacho went immeadiately to zero. Since then no further problem. Suspect Motronic unit or one of the sensors. Has anybody had this experience and any suggestions what is the best place to start looking.

Mike

Reply to
Kay & Mike Wharton

Hi, K and M, try checking the engine to body earth ????? also there is a earth lead that jumps over one of the engine mounts, (exhaust manifold side) check this out, the engine earths through this lead from the subframe, sometimes the subframe becomes insulated due to road grime etc, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

check the fuel pump relay, when they go dodgy the engine will cut out for no reason at all and will start again after about 30 seconds or so

Reply to
furious gibbon

Never suspect the ECU until you've checked the simple things. First are the two relays - main and fuel pump.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your car is Jetronic-L, not Motronic.

Could be the fuel pump relay. I don't think Jet-L cars have the equivalent of a Motronic relay, otherwise that'd be my first suspect.

Reply to
John Burns

Fuel getting through? Pump, wiring, air lock in pipe after running out of fuel.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton