Valet Keys e32

The other day -- I had a need to use the valet key, which we never had the need to do.
I grabbed it; went to hte garage, and used it to start the car -- and drove off.
luckily; I also brought the master key -- becuase the key fit, but did not turn the door locks.
The cut of the key is different than the main key.. the "tip" 1/2 of the key is different, but the base 1/2 is the same.
The dealer says the only thing that should be different is the grove, otherwise they should be the exact same cut.
Anyone have a valet & master key handy to double check? Any one heard of a key that starts the ignition but doesn't fit the door?
--
Remove x's to send.

need
drove off.

turn
key is

otherwise
a key

I've just looked at my valet key, it looks the same. (E46 though) When I bought the car, I thought the salesman said it would open the doors and start the car but not open the glove box.

Thanks. That's what it should open - doors & start the car -- but not the trunk or glove box.
Wonder how I ended up with a key that starts the car, but won't open doors; anyway -- it was $30 to buy a key from the dealer, and 25 to have one cut... so I ordered one from teh dealer.
Thanks -j
ps: the reason I asked, is I talked to someone else; and they insisted that the keys are slightly different (other than the center grove). anyway; thanks. -j
--
Remove x's to send.

If it starts the car, but won't open the doors, then you are doing something wrong with it when it is inserted into the doors.

me, two dealers, a locksmith & a handful of friends..... at least I'm not alone.
--
Remove x's to send.

Alright, here's the bottom line. The keys are identical, except for the groove.
The pins that fit the groove only exist in the trunk lock and the glove box lock. The Valet Key will not fit the trunk or the glove box because these two locks have a pin that demands the groove in the key. If the keys you have fit the ignition but not the door, then you are doing something wrong in the door. There is no other answer.
Well, the door locks could be hosed, I suppose. But this isn't a fault of the key, it's a fault of the lock.

Then why do two other "groved" keys work perfectly in the door?

That's a good question.
The answer is to compare the two keys and make sure they are indeed the same. If they are, and one key works the locks and the ignition and one only works the ignition, then the locks are hosed or the operator is. There can be no other answer. You can't even put the Valet Key into locks that need the groove, so if you can put the Valet Key into the doors, but the doors won't unlock, then the problem has to be the lock or the operator. We know the key is okay because it works the ignition.

see
http://www.jassing.com/josh/images/bmw/ValetMasterKey.jpg
They are not the same -- the "base" 1/2 is the same. The tip 1/2 is different.
This key does start the car w/o problem.
The master key does start the car, open the doors, unlock the trunk & glovebox.

Those keys are not the same. The Valey Key ought not work anything on your car. The fact that it seems to operate the ignition says to me that the Ignition Lock set is damaged.
I thought the doors were toast, but it seems the ignition is the problem. The keys are not the same. Get a new Valet Key cut from the standard key.
The dealer is right, the difference is the groove. The keys are cut the same, but the groove is required to fit the key into the trunk or glove box. Both keys should fit and operate the doors and ignition.