Wear Pad Warning Light

Helped my son replace the brake pads (he did the labor), on a 1994 318 -- the warning light is still on - would much appreciate guidance from this fine group on what we need to do to make the light go off.. thanks and Happy New Year. Ralph Griffith

Reply to
argyliz

Leave the ignition on for about a minute. Does it go out? If not, replace the pad sensor.

Alternatively, were the pads worn when you replaced them? If not, may not be a sensor problem.

Reply to
Ali

If you replaced the wear sensor, the light will go off by itself.

There is a sensor on the Left Front and Right Rear wheels that is checking the brake pad wear. If you manage to replace the pads before the light comes on, you can sometimes swap the sensor from the old pads to the new ones. On occasion, the sensor will break during the transplant, in which case you have to get a new one.

I've found the sensor on eBay for about $10 each.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Assuming the wear sensors are ok and correctly plugged in, switch on the ignition but don't start the engine. Wait a couple of minutes and it'll go out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With the drivers door open switch on ignition (all lights) but do not start the engine. Wait for three minutes - that should do the reset.

Reply to
RustY©

... unless the sensor is worn through.

Reply to