Well what do you know - it works! :)

    Today we had *really* bad snow in Chicago, and on the way to work I was fish-tailing all over the place. Within 3 blocks, it looked like I
simply wasn't going to be able to avoid hitting someone. Finally, I remembered my car came with DTC (hey, I haven't had to drive in the snow since getting the car 2 years ago!).     I'm mighty impressed - the car straightened up and drove fine in 4-6 inches of snow for the rest of my drive in, even on just the all-season tires I was using (I don't think my Z4 would have fared as well with its Goodyear F1s, traction control or not).     Next winter, I'll have to snag some 16" wheels and get some snow tires - should be pretty unstoppable then. Of course, once I do that we'll never get snow again. ;)     epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill
E Brown wrote:

<snip>
Unstoppable? I would have thought slick tyres would be better for achieving that on snow. :-)
Andrew
E Brown wrote:

Isn't the DTC supposed to be on all the time by default?
...oh and could you please go out and get those snow tires sooner? I'd like the snow to stop sooner rather than later. ;-)
--
-Fred W

    DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is always on. When you press the DSC button briefly, you turn off DSC and turn on DTC (Dynamic Traction Control). Holding the DSC button down more than 3 seconds turns off everything.     epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill
E Brown wrote:

Ah thanks. My old 325i only has one mode.
So how about those snow tires. Bet you could get a great deal now that winter's 1/2 over...
--
-Fred W

I've read conflicting opinions on whether this is true or not. Is there any visual indication? I've tried a brief tap and a 5 second hold and both still have some component of traction control invoked as I am losing power when I really put my foot into it. The feeling is clear.
It's a problem for me, as my 540 is supercharged and I can't get a great launch.
Tom
Tom Scales wrote:

Erk, I was worried that might be the case when I read the manual. It's pretty clear in stating that ASC+T reverts to the pseudo-limited-slip function - a worthwhile feature - when turned off but *appears* to say that DSC merely reverts to ASC when turned 'off', which is supported by your experience. Mine was faulty when I got the car which makes it entertaining if dangerous in the wrong hands (ie mine). Now I'm having second thoughts about fixing it. I'd love the limited-slip effect but the throttle control and all-wheel braking needs an off function. Mine is a 1998 540.
Pull the fuse maybe? But that would probably turn it off completely. Otherwise, disconnecting the DSC throttle cable might have possibilities if you're not drive-by-wire. Mine has it but the later V8s have no cables.