What about "manual" do they not understand?

For the first time I drove a car with one of the new "dual clutch" semi-auto trannies. A 135. It was decent, but I was disappointed to discover that if you give it some gas, it will downshift
automatically, even if you have it in manual mode!
I mean, WTF? Sometimes I want to feel the torque from down-low, but it won't let you. I was disappointed, to say the least.
W dniu 2011-10-06 00:00, dizzy pisze:

Witam, Yep, got the same filling. If you want gearbox without "kich-down", you heve to buy M series.
--
"Nie ma takiej rury na świecie,
której nie można odetkać..."

it's for the kids who don't know what the left pedal is for and jam the transmission into gear. bmw usa does not want adults in the states to drive this
another hint that my speculation is right is the lack of 120i and 120d four bangers.
4 pots are quiet and buzz free in the entry level lux cars (A4 is the living proof) but apparently 4 pots did not sell back in the 70s/80s when bmw initially started importing into the states
and noone in hq wants to put their career on the line attempting reentry
AD wrote:

I really don't see the advantage over a conventional auto, which, of course, can be "manually" controlled, also.

"Quiet" isn't the point, IMO. Anything can be quiet. Some us like to hear our motors, and 4-bangers don't sound good.
They're not as smooth throughout the rev-range, either. The hype about "smooth" 4-bangers is as much of a lie as turbos with "no discernable lag" and 4000 pound cars that "hide their weight".

Err... You are unaware that BMW is bringing-back (to the US) 4-bangers in the 3 and even the 5 series?