What are the best tools to buy?

Ok.. I'm an E36 enthusiast.. love these cars.. and I'm getting more and more daring every week.. doing work on the car myself. And now I think it's time
I invested in my own toolkit.. I've already got me some stands and a jack etc.. I'm just wondering what is the essential selection that allows you to do almost any job... and who are the best people to buy from..
I'm not a professional mechanic.. so they won't get used night and day.. I'm after something durable and realistic in price..
Any suggestions?
Add pictures here
✖
I have this set and love it. Sockets/wrenches are both Standard and Metric, They are highly durable, grab the walls of the nut/bolt, not the corners, and worth every penny.
http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/produkten.php?subnr=7&subcat ÊT38
-Branden

Add pictures here
✖
C.Read wrote:

Some which don't break when you hit them with a hammer are good :-) otherwise just about any (metric) set will do.
Add pictures here
✖

A decent socket set with both 1/2 and 3/8" drive. Halfords Pro range are pretty good. Also get a set of allen keys with 3/8" drive ends - many uses on a BMW, brakes, discs and serpentine belt changing.
--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

✖
C.Read wrote:

There are a lot of automotive related tools here, prices aren't too bad, quality seems pretty good. Most for American cars but plenty of metric stuff too. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N 5+4294925139&NeXID=4
Add pictures here
✖

1. Don't ever buy cheap tools.
2. Get a gear wrench set with screwdriver bit ends, adapters and sockets and keep this all together - lucky you if you can find them already in some kind of set with a decent case. You can do 90% of everything with this.
3. see 1.
✖