What does the belt that drives the aircon compressor also drive?

Hi,
Anyone who knows what the belt that drives the aircon compressor also drives in the car? Generator? Other important stuff?
What happens if it breaks
a) other (expensive) stuff might break as well b) the engine stops c) battery will not be charged d) the aircon will stop workng
I assume at least option d is true :o)
Please advice if anyone know. The car is a 2002 E39 530dA touring.
** Lars

Why not look? It's hardly difficult.
It also varies by make of car and possibly model too.
However *as a rule* AC usually has its own belt as it is often an option on cars so saves a total re-design.
--
*No sentence fragments *

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:15:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Well... It is partly hdden under the engine - so it's not THAT easy to see. However it does actually look like the belt is used only by the a/c but I was not sure.

Sure thing... That's why I posted in the bmw newsgroup and mentioned that it is a 2002 E39 530dA touring. It does vary for sure, I also have a Peugeot 406 coupe 3.0 and on that it is the same belt that drives a/c and the generator... Clever French design ;-)

I don't think that they sold a lot of them without a/c - I think the manual aircon was standard. Anyway, what you say does make sense.
** Lars
as a rule there is one belt that drives all the peripherals on modern motors. where a/c is not specified as an option, the compressor is not fitted and a shorter belt is therefore used. you may be able to get around the problem by fitting a belt of the length specified for a car without a/c. i know this works on many mercedes. have a look at the belt journey around the various pulleys, you should be able to work it out.
Miller wrote:

Apparently BMW doesn't follow your rule. I've never seen a BMW that had one belt and AC.
This ain't a mercedes newsgroup BTW..
Lars Knudsen wrote:

My AC belt broken weeks ago. For my 99 528i obviously it only drives the AC. I drove the car OK w/o AC for a few days.

On 5 Aug 2006 05:45:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Okay - it looks that we too when looking at it, but it is rather tight down there as partly hidden under the engine.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that it last until I get it past the garage.
** Lars