What is electric steering.

Consumer Reports liked the Z4 but said it lacked the agility of the Boxster or Honda 2000 because of the electric steering.
What is it? Can something be done to counteract the reduced agility (i.e.
front strut tower braces?).

that it took 200 miles or so to get used to it and then it became no big deal. IIRC, the Z4 has a longer wheelbase than the Boxster & Honda which can certainly affect perceived "agility". Have you driven all 3?
Personally, I find Consumer Reports useful for rating appliances but less so for sports cars.
Tom K.
"Tom K." wrote

Exactly. They treat cars like appliances, too. They'll give high scores to something that reliably takes you from A to B and doesn't require expensive maintenance.
Pete

But in this case are complaining about steering feel?
--
*The statement above is false

And your point is?

"grinder" wrote

The same as Tom K's - CR is hardly an authority on cars, especially the sporty ones.
Pete

Just the Boxster and I own a Z4. I can't fit in the 2000 - I have to literally crawl out of it. I like my Z and will probably like it even more when I get rid of the ride flat tires. The Boxster was nice also but maintenance costs were a concern and I have always been very pleased with BMW.
As for Consumer Reports, where I don't accept everything they say as gospel, they have pointed me in the right direction in the past.

wrong ones. Jim

You find dedicated motor mags always agree?
--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sex..just don't point!

London SW

Jim

But still make up your own mind if you disagree? So not really different from a consumer mag?
I find the paranoid criticism of consumer mags strange. If yours is like the UK one, it's totally paid for by the members. No government grant and no advertising. So really only the business of those members. I, like everyone else, don't always agree with their conclusions, but their data is is very useful in deciding on certain things. But you have to read the articles carefully rather than just relying on headlines.
--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

As I've always felt the Boxster was a bit pricey compared to the Z4, I haven't test driven one. So how would you compare the steering feel between the two?
I know my Z4's electric assist feels somewhat different from the steering in my E46 sedan - not better or worse, just a bit different.
Tom K.

I found the Boxster to me a little more responsive. But the difference in price as well as maintenance costs offset that completely. I noticed a difference last weekend when I was driving the Z4. I was on an off-ramp and the curve was sharper than I expected. I started to turn and, when it did not respond as I expected, I had to quickly turn the wheel in order to avoid hitting the retaining wall. I was thinking it was do to excessive speed but now I think the electric steering also played a part. It is worth nothing that I only drive the Z4 1 or 2 times a week.

understand some folks problems with the steering binding in very hot weather.
You might experiment with increasing the front tire pressure a bit to reduce the understeer you're experiencing (especially if you have the sport package staggered tire sizes).
Tom K.

    This is one of the problems with car reviews - the reviewers seldom drive a car long enough to get used to anything different than their typical experience. After years of driving a Z4, I'd say that what most reviewers are articulating, poorly, is not a problem with feel, but a problem with steering ratio - you've got to turn the Z4 wheel more from lock-to-lock.     epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill

Dunno the Z4 system, but some use an electric motor to drive a hydraulic pump on demand. So it's not wasting energy when not required.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Actually p/s pumps take little power when they're not assisting steering. In effect the outlet of the pump is connected to the inlet, so apart from the resistance to flow in the pipes through the valve chamber back to the pump, the pump is not really doing much work at all. I feel sure that any gain from using an electric pump, is very marginal, as while the pump is running,and possibly after it stops, the alternator will be working that much harder to replace what the electric pump has taken from the battery. Long m/way journeys might be where an electric pump could give a benefit in fuel consumption, but around town I can't see it making any noticeable difference. OTOH maybe electric pumps don't work that way, and I'm just spouting rubbish. :-) Mike.

You also need to consider the friction in the drive to the pump.

Yes but it would seem the total energy is less - enough to make it worthwhile.

Every mickle maks a muckle as they say in Scotland...
IIRC, there are fully electric systems too.
--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

now as well?     epbrown