What is the Year/Model that is the Epitome of Classic BMW Style/Function

Do any of you folks have a preference about which year and model of car is the flagship style that you think of when you think BMW? Which car is the
right balance of power and style and maintainability... I think that's a word. Please list street production cars, rather than racing. I have a personal preference, but I'd like to see what I may have missed.
ER

The 5-series is my favorite. E34 with 3.5L or E39 with 3.0L and manual transmissions would be my choice.
FloydR
On Sat, 13 May 2006 22:54:47 -0700, Floyd Rogers wrote:

Yea, the E39 is more powerful(great car), but I think the E34 style is more of a BMW from my perspective. I also like the 5 series.
My preference is the 530-540(wish they had a 550) E34 style around the 1994-95 years. The E39 is very powerful, but you can't work on it as easily as the E34's. I like the designs of both, but the E39 starts looking a bit like an electric razor.
ER

BMW E30 and E34. Classics.

Best looking to me is the E34. Best engine for it the largest of the small block 6 24 valve - although the older 3.5 six is great, but a little heavy for handling balance.
E39 6 is really a better car all round, but without the looks.
--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

the 535 had the battery shifted to the latter half of the car, making the weight distribution 50/50. the 540 is where things got front-heavy..

My 525 24 valve E34 had the battery under the rear seat - thought they all had.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Most did. Althought I've a feeling some early 518i E34s had it in the engine bay.

And overly complex. Done a few jobs on the V8s, nice engine but not as well thought out for maintenance as the older ones.
Enoch Root wrote:

I personally love the E24, the 1987 635CSi / L6. Great shark nose, two door, sleek design with good power.
On Sun, 14 May 2006 07:43:53 -0700, dkraaf wrote:

That's a nice looking car. I would certainly pick that up before any 2006 model. The japanese car look with the new models make me sick. This E24 has a very aggressive overhanging nose- haven't seen it before. Very cool.
You have my vote for the 635CSi also. There's one in my neighborhood and when it appears people actually stop talking to watch it go by. Classic Beauty on wheels.

dkraaf wrote:

+1
I like the 635's. But I'd have to have a manual transmission and most of the big coupes came with automatics.
An E24 M6 would be blissfull.
--
-Fred W

I converted my 635 to a manual, it transforms the car.
Since I acquired my first BMW years, and I do mean YEARS ago, my tastes tend to run with models of MY era! ehehhehe You can't beat the older models for style and downright sex-appeal. My alltime favorite is the E9 (2800CS/3.0CS). Sleek, stylish...what more could you ask for?

On Tue, 16 May 2006 03:29:53 +0000, Ernie Babin wrote:

That is a nice car. Very Sean Connery's James Bond in style.
http://www.oldtimer-valais.ch/meeting/Vehicules_attendus/1024x768/LDL_BMW_30CS_1971.jpg
I'm a tad younger, so I tend to lean towards the middle of the road E34 5 series. But if I had the time/money, that car would be on the list.

Less rust and more chassis stability. They sound nicer though.