What to do with metric rims?

What can I do with my metric rims, in pristine condition? I have a set of 4 orginal rims from 1988 535i, made for Michelin TRX size 200/60 VR 390. I can't use them because they don't make that size tire anymore in NA.

Reply to
Michael Harvey

a) eBay. Those muppets will buy /anything/

b) earrings. Heavy, true, but stylish.

Reply to
Bear

How about a coffee table. I've seen one made from a V8 engine block ... very nice :-))

Reply to
SteveG

SG: Excuse me but I resemble that remark! I bought my 730 on eBay ... best £650 I've spent in some time :-))

Reply to
SteveG

And me. Found my 740iL on eBay, hence the comment.

Sir might like to look up "self-deprecatory humour" ;)

--=20 Bear BMW 740iL - Stately progress for the mature gentleman

Reply to
Bear

Yep. It only has to run for a year or so before something breaks and you're quids in. They're bargains, so long as you don't fall into the trap of trying to keep them running when the inevitable occurs. For some, they're a somewhat misplaced status symbol, too. Look after it and enjoy it for what it is.

Reply to
Dean Dark

In years past, I've seen many fine ashtrays made from upturned pistons cut off midway through the gudgeon pin hole (wrist pin hole, for the Merkins). It's a machine shop job though, not advisable to attempt with a regular hacksaw...

Reply to
Dean Dark

It's gonna have to be some machine shop to be able to mount a 390mm rim on the lathe!

But you're right about the piston ashtrays, I've made loads... I think that probably reflects more on my luck with cars than anything else!

BTW, don't waste your time trying to do it with 50cc 2 stroke moped pistons, they don't have enough metal on the top for you to machine them flat before you go through them.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

You can use them for a trailer or two.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

Sir (how did you know?) appreciated the humour from the outset :-))

Reply to
SteveG

They make great hose reels.

Reply to
John Burns

Make plant stands with them.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Coffee tables, plant stands, hose reels, trailers, -- thanks guys for all the ideas.

Reply to
Michael Harvey

Sorry.

Those rims just aren't in demand. The tires they carry just never became the rage they were hyped up to be. The result is that nobody makes the TRX tires, and the one company -- if there is one -- that pumps them out commands a very high price. I switched out of a unique (225/55x15) tire that came from the factory on my '94 E36 car and into an equivelent 17" tire for the very same reason -- only one company makes the 225/55x15, and they get almost $250 (USD), installed, for each one. With the upgrade to 17" rims, now I have a choice of several different tires, and the prices are in the low $100s for each one.

You may find a purist on eBay that wants them, but I doubt it.

Reply to
J Strickland

Only for plant stands, hose reels, coffee tables, and trailers... and priced accordingly.

Without rubber they're worse than useless -- because they cost money to ship.

"Overpriced at free" I believe is the Roundel quote.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.