What to do with metric rims?

What can I do with my metric rims, in pristine condition? I have a set of 4 orginal rims from 1988 535i, made for Michelin TRX size 200/60 VR 390. I
can't use them because they don't make that size tire anymore in NA.
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca Michael Harvey says...

a) eBay. Those muppets will buy /anything/
b) earrings. Heavy, true, but stylish.
--
Bear
BMW 740iL - Stately progress for the mature gentleman
Bear wrote:

SG: Excuse me but I resemble that remark! I bought my 730 on eBay ... best 650 I've spent in some time :-))

--
Regards

Steve G
_@_._ SteveG says...

And me. Found my 740iL on eBay, hence the comment.
Sir might like to look up "self-deprecatory humour" ;) -- Bear BMW 740iL - Stately progress for the mature gentleman
Bear wrote:

Sir (how did you know?) appreciated the humour from the outset :-))
--
Regards

Steve G

Yep. It only has to run for a year or so before something breaks and you're quids in. They're bargains, so long as you don't fall into the trap of trying to keep them running when the inevitable occurs. For some, they're a somewhat misplaced status symbol, too. Look after it and enjoy it for what it is.
--
Dan.

Michael Harvey wrote:

How about a coffee table. I've seen one made from a V8 engine block ... very nice :-))
--
Regards

Steve G

In years past, I've seen many fine ashtrays made from upturned pistons cut off midway through the gudgeon pin hole (wrist pin hole, for the Merkins). It's a machine shop job though, not advisable to attempt with a regular hacksaw...
--
Dan.

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:01:39 -0400, Dean Dark

It's gonna have to be some machine shop to be able to mount a 390mm rim on the lathe!
But you're right about the piston ashtrays, I've made loads... I think that probably reflects more on my luck with cars than anything else!
BTW, don't waste your time trying to do it with 50cc 2 stroke moped pistons, they don't have enough metal on the top for you to machine them flat before you go through them.
Dodgy.
You can use them for a trailer or two.
Steve

They make great hose reels.
Make plant stands with them.

Coffee tables, plant stands, hose reels, trailers, -- thanks guys for all the ideas.

Sorry.
Those rims just aren't in demand. The tires they carry just never became the rage they were hyped up to be. The result is that nobody makes the TRX tires, and the one company -- if there is one -- that pumps them out commands a very high price. I switched out of a unique (225/55x15) tire that came from the factory on my '94 E36 car and into an equivelent 17" tire for the very same reason -- only one company makes the 225/55x15, and they get almost $250 (USD), installed, for each one. With the upgrade to 17" rims, now I have a choice of several different tires, and the prices are in the low $100s for each one.
You may find a purist on eBay that wants them, but I doubt it.

the
that
for
Only for plant stands, hose reels, coffee tables, and trailers... and priced accordingly.
Without rubber they're worse than useless -- because they cost money to ship.
"Overpriced at free" I believe is the Roundel quote.
-Russ.