What tools needed to replace bushings?

Within a week or so I will be replacing shock cartridges in the front struts and replacing the rear shocks on a 1988 325ic.

While I am under the car I plan on taking a close look at all the various bushings as I understand they can be shot at around 125k, which is roughly the current mileage.

Having never replaced bushings before, are there any special tools that make the job easier? I can picture using a large C clamp to press new ones into place, but what about getting the old ones out?

Christopher

Reply to
blickcd

A 10 ton hydraulic press would be very helpful if you can get the bushing on their own.

Most units come complete with bushings at a $$$$$$ price. But I expect somebody will say they can do it with a bent screwdriver and big hammer.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

Reply to
Psycho

You can get them out fairly easily - getting them in can be more difficult.

Ideally you want a bench press, but as suggested a large vice can be employed if you are strong enough, however even then you may need a pipe over the bar and the bar will bend before the bush / bearing will go in...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton