what type of suspension is on the e60 525i

Page 1 of 2
hi all does anyone know what the suspension in on te e60 525i 2004 i have the standard suspension i have been told and i want to make it more comfortable .
i have removed the runflats to conventional tyres and whilst the harshness has gone i can still feel a lot of bounce on seemingly smooth roads. maybe i have to go to a softer coil spring or shock absorber. any thoughts appreciated.
Add pictures here
βœ–

US owner?
It is just fine as it is - go buy a Cadillac if you want a slush-puppy!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On May 27, 3:02 am, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

"tyres"? "whilst"? Not bloody likely in the US. If you're gonna try to be a Smartass©, at least be a good one - dumbass. -- C.R. Krieger a.a.bmw Chief Smartass©
Add pictures here
βœ–

<Floyd, chiming in> Yes, a CTS-V will trash *any* BMW excepting an E60 M5. It is essentially even in performance (of all kinds, not only straight-ahead acceleration) to an E39 M5. And they cost less than either of your cars.

Chrysler resurrected the Hemi name about 5 years ago, in a 5.7L V8, and in a 6.1L V8. The only thing the current engines have in common with the 360&426 engines are the Hemi name, SOHC pushrods, and combustion chamber shape.
See, you continue to show that you know nothing about US cars, even though you claim to have lived here.
Add pictures here
βœ–

What's this now - "Scrap heap challenge"

SOHC ??????????

Yes--------------- 1982 - 1987 but then the Buick Regal had a 90 deg crap V6 and you had the double nickel speed limit. The Caddy I had at that time was the one with the 4, 6, 8, cyl firing system to save on fuel and gas was 50c gallon. All US cars were massively over geared and @ 70 mph one could actually see the fuel gauge (gage) move. Couldn't coax more than 75 out of that bus and the caddy - well nice to ride in and fair to drive but no real mover!

Add pictures here
βœ–
Floyd Rogers wrote:

Why would an engine have an overhead cam and push rods? Push rods were used on engines that had the cam down in the block.
But I agree 100% that the Chrysler Corp has resurrected the "Hemi" name purely for marketing.
--
-Fred W

Add pictures here
βœ–

It's a way of operating non inline valves from a central overhead cam. Pushrods can be lighter than long rocker arms. IIRC, the pre-war BMW 6 used this method.
--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*

βœ–

I'm so used to overhead cams my brain just pre-pended SOHC to the valve type. You've gotta love associative memory, even when the association is incorrect.
FloydR
Add pictures here
βœ–

Frighteningly, yes. I knew from the day I saw some preproduction prototypes sitting at the local track - having recently returned from testing at the Nurburgring (they left the stickers on one) that this was One Bad Caddy. Andy Pilgrim and others have raced them quite successfully in a couple of sedan series here.
Running radar on them at selected points during some of those races, I know they were among the fastest cars on the track. As much as I might like your 'short' E38 (and *not* the E45, or whatever your diesel is), they are *no* match for a CTS-V in terms of speed and handling. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)
Add pictures here
βœ–

With the previous E39, the best riding one had standard suspension and 15" wheels. As the wheels got bigger - and therefore the tyres lower profile - the ride got worse. Are your wheels the smallest option?
Just guessing but I doubt you'd find softer springs easily as most aftermarket types are handling orientated. And altering from standard to softer would effect the load carrying capacity - as well as being detrimental to the handling. It's a relatively easy job to beef up suspension to make a car handle 'better' but not so easy to improve the ride.
--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

βœ–

There are companies that will make springs to your specification.
The ride on my 3 went up with eibach springs and sachs sport dampers, although that was compared to 100k mile old original stuff.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Interesting but only useful if you run an F1 team - or a master at suspension dynamics and a lengthy time available for testing and type approval - Oh! this is only for driving around a private test track then....!

Add pictures here
βœ–

I hate to be a naysayer, but me thinks you paid extra for that.
One of the hall marks of a BMW is precision handling, a result of all that precision is that you feel the road. If you are feeling stuff on the road, you can be sure it's there and not coming from the car. If you feel some roads differently than others, that's the car doing its job.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have an E39 528 with standard suspension and 15" wheels and a neighbour a new E36 535 diesel which I've driven. A most impressive performer, but somewhat spoiled (to me) by the poor ride. It has sports suspension and 18"? wheels with the original runflats. It *may* handle very much better at speed - I never had the chance to find out - but I've not found my car lacking in that respect either. On my test drive I took it round local roads I know very well and it certainly found potholes my car ignores. You could both feel and hear them. I don't think there are dramatic differences to the suspension so I concluded it's down to the bigger wheels and run flat tyres.
--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

βœ–

Dave
Can you remember what I said a couple of months ago? I was on the lookout for a nearly new (ex-demo) E65 730d and drove several but one in particular caught my eye. A FULLY LOADED 730d Sport.
It had 20" wheels with very low profile tyres - don't think they were run-flat - TV, IR camera, TV, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Comfort access, fully powered boot lid (trunk), comfort seats, rear AC, cool box etc. etc.
Took it for a run down the A3 from Streatham to just past Esher and back.
TOTAL CRAP......... Ride far to hard, Every bump, pot-hole, road join, repair, white line, cats-eye.......
It wandered all over the road and made me feel queasy (hard to do to a driver) and my wife sick.
Nice looking car but a definite NO NO.
Another I looked at was a very nice 730d SE pretty bare in goodies but it had the 20" wheels and adjustable suspension.
Again on "sport" the dampers went hard but as it still had the stock springs it was, again, bumpy, thumpy, and difficult to keep in a straight line and it too found every pimple on the road surface. On Comfort (soft) ride it was like a boat on a slightly choppy sea. Yawing and Pitching all over the place and the tyres didn't help either. Thump --- whoa! up-down-around and around sway to the left then right. My wife turned green and we had to stop the car.
I must say that this test drive took place in Hungerford and comprised of a fairly fast A/B road and a local country hill/lane back road in need of a complete resurface (not that it will ever happen).
No my friend - stay well clear of 20" wheels and sport suspension unless you are only going to use the car once a month on a deserted airfield by yourself.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I have M-sport suspension and 17" wheels on my E39 540 and the ride is noticeably worse than my E34 with standard suspension and 15" wheels. The standard BMW suspension used to be an ideal compromise between handling and comfort. Frankly I don't think firm suspension adds anything. If you corner on a rough surface it feels like the car will skitter off the road. The low ride height looks good but makes it more likely you'll ground it out on something.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It appears to be the case that the motoring press in general think the BMW ride is pretty poor these days. Aftermarket alternatives may well give a better ride.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The press hear say it's mainly down to the run flat tyres. Who actually needs these damn things if they spoil day to day driving?
But I say again I'd be surprised if anyone offered softer springs than are available from the factory - I've never seen such a thing advertised. And there could be a very real problem with load carrying without some form of self levelling.
--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

βœ–
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is it definitely down to those? I haven't got run flats, just stiff springs, and it's bumpy enough. This was the optional sport suspension. I think this sort of thing is bought by middle aged men who fancy themselves a bit sporty. If the new BMWs are all 'firm and sporty' it's probably just pandering to fashion. Audis have been bumpy for ages and people claim to like it. Personally I believe more compliant suspension actually lets you make better progress on a typical road, but I can't back that up with figures.

He could let down the tyres a bit. On the E34, inflating them to the max recommended pressure made the ride too skittish, so I ran them at the minimum. I'm told if you put bigger than 15" wheels on the E34 it was crap too.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Actually I am VERY surprised to read this thread. I mean, suspension setup depends on personal taste... and personal taste depends also on where you live (different roads, better road maintenance, stricter policemen etc). Italy is certainly not famous for its fantastic road maintenance (but fortunately policemen here are not very strict so at least you can drive fast :-D). Personally, I think that comfort differences on modern cars are just a mental thing... people spending their driving time listening to bumps as if they were choosing a new hi-fi :-). If you were deaf, 95% of your perceived harshness would go away, because the asphalt hits the tires, but between the tires and your ass you have TWO suspension systems (the suspensions of the car and the seat, whose damping is very considerable), so basically if you didn't think you are breaking the car whenever you hear a bump you would see that suspension setup is just fine... even too soft, to tell the truth (there's plenty of roll). The actual vertical acceleration of the driver while going over bumps IMHO is really really low, unless bumps are really huge.
However, I don't see the point of wanting softer bmws, I mean, you can buy a mercedes or a jaguar or even a citroen if you're not so sport- oriented and you want more of a compromise... there's no such thing as a perfectly comfortable car with decent handling.... not as long as you are so demanding as far as comfort is concerned!
Add pictures here
βœ–