what type of suspension is on the e60 525i

Page 2 of 2

The Jag XJ series gets damn close. But having owned one I still prefer my 5 Series. On standard suspension and the small wheels it was originally designed for. ;-)
--
*That's it! Im calling grandma!

What year are we talking about Dave? Last XJ I drove 2006 4.2 sovereign was really rubbish compared to the BMW 7 series in standard trim (not sport) in fact I found it weird on the steering - Jags have always had light steering but this one seemed to want to drive it's self or rather it was more point and aim. Very soft ride but held the road Ok but didn't feel as stable as the BMW

There's a stretch of road near me where I bang my head on the roof of the car several times when I drive down it.
There's more to the comfort than just the overall spring rate. The damping has a lot to do with it too. Someone else mentioned tyre sizes and that it is a big part of the ride comfort.
X. wrote:

BMWs were always so good because they combined almost the comfort of a Mercedes with good 'feel' and tightness, but from personal experience I think sport suspension is a shade too far. Good fun when you want to fling it about, and at a decent speed, but a low speeds over less than smooth roads it's merely uncomfortable. But it's personal taste, as you say.
Haven't ridden in or driven an ugly boat on wheels, er, E60, so can't comment on what those are like, but people seem to be saying they're a bit firm.

BTW, an anecdote: when I took my 330xd touring to the race track, I increased tire pressure about 15%, to lower tire temperatures (I was certain they were going to overheat). Actually that meant, IIRC, 2.8bar and 3.1bar, front and rear (!). Well, the pressure in those tires has NEVER been put back to its previous value, initially because of my laziness, but also because I decided it was good for road use, as well: my driving is quite sporty (when traffic allows me to do so), and higher tire pressure helped to make tire wear more even (but it's still quite uneven :-D). My parents and grandparents NEVER complained because I told them nothing, they never noticed the difference. Had I told them about that, they would have complained...
X. wrote:

I used to always do that: inflate the tyres to the 'fully loaded' pressure in the book. Sharpened up the steering no end. It worked for all my cars until the E34!

Back in the good ol' days of police driver training, we used to run "bald eagles" at 100 PSI (honestly) on a flooded skidpan to learn car control.
Few things since then have been so much fun, at least while I had my clothes on.
--
Dan.

LOL My race bicycle pump allows me to inflate car tires as well... next time my tires are shaved, I'll try the 100psi stunt in a parking lot before replacement :-))))

If you "still feel a lot of bounce", perhaps you should have the condition of your existing suspension components checked. Have you owned the car since 2004 and has there been a gradual deterioration of the ride and/or handling?
Tom K.