Wheel shimmy

Looks like my question tagged onto a previous thread got missed out so I'll ask again if no-one minds!

Ah, I have exactly that. Very slight if at all when accelerating through 60 but braking from 70 down through 60 its very noticeable.
So what can I do about it...?
Have so far re-balanced the wheels and my next move was going to be tracking then investigate the discs (in order of expense!)
TIA
Shevek

What model BMW? On a 5/6/7 series it's more likely to be a worn centre tie rod.
Oops, forgot that! Its a 2000 E39 528i

More likely than not balljoints, then. ;-)
--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

had vibrations when braking from high speed
replaced brake discs (Very easy- very cheap)
problem gone

Usual cause is worn balljoints in the bottom links.
--
*Eschew obfuscation *

I actually had this same issue with my 99' 528i. It ended up being a combination of dead Control arm/ball joint and warped rotors. I had them replaced and it drives like new again.
They said the "shimmy" was mainly from the warped rotors. I would start there.
-Branden
London SW

Er, rotors is the same as discs right?
about something:

Yup...
Americans call discs rotors.
Automotive phrases are a minefield for our two divided version of English!
Brake Disc/Rotor Bonnet/Hood Boot/Trunk Windscreen/Windshield Indicator/turn signal Manual gearbox/Stick shift (I think) Automatic gearbox/ (No idea what American's call that... Probably assumed unless stick shift specified!) Air bag/Wife (sorry, just checking who's still reading!)
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Stick shift/Manual either term is used in the states.

Yeah Automatic Gearbox is just Automatic over here in the states.

ROFL!
-Branden
waffled on

Dodgy wrote:

Actually, we alternate. I use both terms indiscriminately.

Also, 'decklid'. Note, too, that our cars have *never* sported 'wings' other than those bolted to the rear decklid by Asian youths, unless they were actually meant to fly. We cover our wheels with 'fenders'.

(Cringing): 'blinker' - but never from *my* lips! Occasionally, 'flasher'.

Sometimes 'standard' transmission. 'Gearbox' is only commonly used among the 'sportycar' crowd like SCCA and other assorted road racers.

'Automatic transmission' or, derogatorily, 'slushbox'.
Then, there's that whole 'wheels-rims-tires-tyres' thing ... -- C.R. Krieger (Bilingual!)
on about something:

Damn, completely forgot about them... But don't blame the Asian's, I think you'll find that all your major motor manufacturers but huge wings and fins on the back of cars in the 50-70's... The immigrants are just a little behind the times, that's all!
And before you try to deny it, I know what a 1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird looks like! :-p
http://www.motorcities.com/media/image/640/05G3M433610385A/1970-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Superbird-A-640.jpeg

There is a wonderful English to German translation sheet about for when BMW took over Rolls Royce, I'll have to find it...
Found it!
http://fp.citadel2000.f9.co.uk/webs/gremlin/thebook/book/pages10-19/13_motoring.htm

I had a manual box that turned into a slushbox.
Well that's what it felt like it was full of... It certainly didn't have any gears left in there!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Shevek wrote:

Depending on the mileage, you may need to replace the bushings in the front suspension. When they get worn and sloppy it makes it very sensitive to shimmy under braking such as what you describe. No brake rotors are perfect. There will always be a small amount of variation as the disk rotated through the calipers. The suspension needs to suck up that small vibration without breaking into mecahnical oscillations.
--
-Fred W

First thing to check is that the wheels are meticulously balanced. Many places don't do it accurately enough in mu opinion, and because there are so many bushes, etc, on the e39 front end that can get tired, even a slight imbalance on a wheel will cuase the shimmy.
I know when I had it I immediately suspected the front control arm bushes, amongst other things, because that's what loads of people said. However, it turned out that the alloy wheels (aftermarket) I had fitted were sh*tty castings so the wheels could never be balanced exactly right.
Changed the wheels, and everything's spot on now, even with the car at nearly 80k miles.

Any wheel can be correctly balanced. Run out is a different matter.
--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*