Wheel Shimmy redux

Page 1 of 2
I am experiencing slight shimmy in a brand new 525 in the 60-70mph range. Should I expect this to settle in or should I wrap the car around the dealer's head?

Neither. Take it back and ask them to fix it. It should be as smooth as silk assuming the road is conducive to that.
Agreed. If its brand new it should ride like a dream. Take it back and have it fixed.
-Brandenn

bmoag wrote:

-Fred W

New cars are usually supplied with higher spec tyres than the ones you buy later so don't need balancing from new.
--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Nonsense.
--
-Fred W

I'd suggest you look at new 'decent' makes in the showroom and see just how many have balance weights fitted. None - in the case of BMW. They require the makers to supply tyres - and wheels - already within balance tolerance.
Aftermarket tyres - even of the same make - can be regarded as seconds.
--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

That is certainly not the case - I must agree with Fred on this one. My '01 330xi certainly had balance weights when new. Further, the OEM Conti Sport Contacts certainly aren't the best tire available, unless you want to consider long life (~40K miles) "better".
Every new car I've purchased - Chrysler, Toyota, BMW, Porsche - has had cheaper and lower performing tires than are available on the aftermarket. It's clearly the car manufacturers attempting to keep overall prices low that drives this. The only exceptions to this I know of are some very high performce cars - Porsche Turbo, Ferrari, Honda NSX, etc.

Absolute bullocks, Dave.
FloydR

I'm not talking about different brands of tyres, but the *selection* of the same make sent to the factory for fitting to new cars.

Have it your own way. Has it not occurred to you that tyres of the same make sometimes need more balancing than others - or not at all?
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Have you ever noticed that tires made in the same plant, in the same manufacturing batch, on the same day and hour, need different weights to be balanced (even upon the same rim?) Why do racing tires have balance weights (http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/sports/motorsports/nascar/series/nextel_cup/qa_forum.html?forumId 3&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=2)? Why did both sets of OEM tires/wheels that I have for my 330xi (I have a set of 325i sport package wheels/tires: Michelin MXM 225/45 on 17x75 in addition to the original rims) have weights?
I think you should go and look for the stick-on weights at your local dealership, before you continue this discussion.
FloydR

(http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/sports/motorsports/nascar/series/nextel_cup/qa_forum.html?forumId 3&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=2)?
I have done. Is it outside your comprehension that having to balance tyres adds to the cost of a vehicle? And that car makers who buy them by the thousand can demand better tolerances than when you buy a set as replacements?
--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

I've seen balance wieghts on brand new cars that cost FAR more than the one's we favor. Tires are tires and the way they are produced ensures that they are always slightly different from the one before it. Most tire fitters prefer the stick on weights to keep them out of site on the back side of the wheel.
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:54:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I call bull. My 2004 BMW didn't have those ugly hammer-on balancing weights that you can readily see.
But it DID have less the intrusive looking balancing weights on the interior of the wheels.

Proper balancing may require weights fitted other than in the middle of the wheel.

Could be to balance the wheels rather than the tyres.
--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yeah, that's it Dave. The tires are balanced to perfection but the wheels can't be manufactured within tolerance without stick-on weights.
You are too funny...
Do you ever admit it when you are wrong?
--
-Fred W

Occasionally, but he's gone off the deep end before.
FloydR

Depending on the design of wheel some do have added on weights to achieve balance.

So you think all tyres are made to such a poor tolerance they *all* have a significant balance error? And not that they vary? If they all had the same balance error it would be simple to balance them. But they vary between 'perfect' to large errors, and the car makers get the best of them to cut down on manufacturing costs. When you buy replacements you're getting the left overs...
--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Give it up Dave, tires are mass produced in molds and once they are removed from the mold they go through an intense QA inspection that mostly consists of "it looks like a good one" before it's piled up with the rest of them. I can PROMISE you that the manufacturer does not check the balance of the tire to determine who gets it. As for the claim made that replacement tires are seconds (I'm not sure if that was your statement), that's total crap. The manufacturers get whatever tires they are sent. High dollar performance tires may be a little better but there's no guaranties there either.
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:50:20 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

about something:

IIRC, the main reason tyres (tires) need balancing is because of the steel mesh used in their construction. The mesh is wound round the part finished tyre for a few layers and then cut. As the start of this mesh spiral and end of this mesh spiral are very rarely directly in line which each other, there are always a few millimetres where one patch of the tyre has one more, or one less layer of steel mesh. Which obviously makes the tyre slightly off balance.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Of course, back in the days before belted tires (steel or otherwise), balancing was just as necessary. The only difference I recall was that an unbalanced tire/wheel resulted in a steering shimmy between 35~45 mph, not at the higher speeds we find today.
Tom K.