Wheel Shimmy redux

Although OE tires are marked to enable balancing with fewer weights, they are not perfect. Here's an article at tirerack.com:

Note the paragraph: "Original Equipment (OE) tire suppliers are required to mark the tire's "high point" while OE wheel manufacturers mark the wheel's "low point." This helps the vehicle manufacturer match mount combinations that maximize new car ride quality while reducing the amount of balancing weight."

Here's another quote from the website of machines used to test tires in manufacturers' plants from

"Most tire service professionals and factory service manuals agree that residual static imbalance should not exceed .30 oz. on average size wheels and .60 oz. on larger light duty truck wheels." It's quite clear from a cursory examination of web sources (best google is "Radial Force Variation" - include the quotes) that your assertion that OEM tires are "perfect" and after-market tires are "lower-quality" is without basis in fact.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I said no such thing - just that the car makers get the better *balanced* tyres. And my information came from a very high placed engineer who works for a tyre maker. And I'll take his word regardless of what's said here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is a heck of a lot easier to machine and manufacture wheels that don't require balancing on a production basis than tires. The tire contracts go to the lowest name brand bidder that can meet the basic specs for wear, traction and speed ratings.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

Methinks you have that backwards, Dave.

There's a lot more replacement tires (tyres) sold each year than those supplied for new cars.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

True - but not bought in the quantities the car maker does - who can therefore demand the best selection, balance wise. Unless you think there are no quality control checks on tyres after they are made.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)