wheel sizes on 318

Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i SE 1998 model and I was just wondering how wide I can go with my tyres. A friend of mine is selling some alloys off a 5 series with 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but will they fit
the 3 series without scuffing the tyres? any help will be much appreciated Cheers!
5 Series rims won't fit a 3 Series, the offset is different.
To answer your question, you can take a 17 x 7.5 and mount a 225/45x17 on it. I am pretty sure the 235/40s will fit, but I have 225/45s on my car.

"Jeff Strickland1" wrote: > 5 Series rims won't fit a 3 Series, the offset is different. > > To answer your question, you can take a 17 x 7.5 and mount a > 225/45x17 on > it. I am pretty sure the 235/40s will fit, but I have 225/45s > on my car. > > > >

request
It doesn't it really matter how the tires will look on the rims, the rims won't fit on the car ...
WRONG OFFSET!!!!!!!!!!

The sensible size to fit would be 225, no sense going above that on a 318i.
John Burns wrote:

Agreed. Those larger wheels and tires can hurt your performance if they even fit. That is a lot more weight relative to that small engine. The handling *might* improve but the ride will likely suffer. Are you going for the "look" of the bigger wheel/tire combo or are your trying to accomplish something else?
"Dan Krueger" wrote: > John Burns wrote: > > &nbsp;>>Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i SE 1998 model > and I was just > &nbsp;>>wondering how wide I can go with my tyres. A friend of > mine is selling > &nbsp;>>some alloys off a 5 series with 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but > will they fit > &nbsp;>>the 3 series without scuffing the tyres? any help will > be much > &nbsp;>>appreciated Cheers! > > > > > > The sensible size to fit would be 225, no sense going above > that on a > > 318i. > > > Agreed. Those larger wheels and tires can hurt your > performance if they > even fit. That is a lot more weight relative to that small > engine. The > handling *might* improve but the ride will likely suffer. Are > you going > for the "look" of the bigger wheel/tire combo or are your > trying to > accomplish something else?
Im doing it for looks really Dan, plus hopefully better road handling, thats providing the rims go on in the first place and the offset isnt different. But Ill take your advice and put some 225s on and see how they go Cheers!

5 Series rims will definitely NOT fit on a 3 Series.
"spamcatcher" wrote:
> > > "Dan Krueger" wrote: > &nbsp;> > John Burns wrote: > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt;&gt;Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i > SE 1998 model > &nbsp;> > and I was just > &nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt;&gt;wondering how wide I can go with my > tyres. A friend of > &nbsp;> > mine is selling > &nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt;&gt;some alloys off a 5 series with > 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but > &nbsp;> > will they fit > &nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt;&gt;the 3 series without scuffing the > tyres? any help will > &nbsp;> > be much > &nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt;&gt;appreciated Cheers! > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > The sensible size to fit would be 225, no > sense going above > &nbsp;> > that on a > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > 318i. > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;> > Agreed. Those larger wheels and tires can hurt > your > &nbsp;> > performance if they > &nbsp;> > even fit. That is a lot more weight relative to > that small > &nbsp;> > engine. The > &nbsp;> > handling *might* improve but the ride will likely > suffer. Are > &nbsp;> > you going > &nbsp;> > for the "look" of the bigger wheel/tire combo or > are your > &nbsp;> > trying to > &nbsp;> > accomplish something else? > > > > I'm doing it for looks really Dan, plus hopefully better > road > > handling, that's providing the rims go on in the first place > and the > > offset isn't different. But I'll take your advice and put > some 225's > > on and see how they go Cheers! > > > > 5 Series rims will definitely NOT fit on a 3 Series.
Thanks Spamcatcher, luckily I havent bought the wheels yet so Ill tell him where to go, for trying to sell me the wrong rims. The 318 Ive got has the standard 15" V-spoke alloys already on the car, so have you any advice as to what are the best tyres to put on them? Ive always been a lover of big wide sporty tyres. Cheers.
1.) You gotta stop posting in HTML, it is screwing up everything.
2.) Try this link for wheels that you might like ... http://www.kalach.easynet.be/bmw_wheels.htm
3.) Look on eBay for wheels that are available. If you don't see any that you like today, look again tomorrow. When I replaced my 15" rims with 17s, I searched for BMW OEM E36 WHEELS. You can narrow the hit list by adding the rim size you want, BMW OEM E36 (or E46, as the case may be) 17" WHEELS. If you will take aftermarket wheels, then take OEM out of your search string.