wheel upgrade time

Are there any fitment issues when using wheels intended for a 2001 M3 on a

2001 330ci Sport (2-door if it makes any difference)? I know the brakes are larger on the M3, so smaller brakes on the 330 shouldn't be an issue? No? Here's why I ask: TireRack has the wheels I want but states they are for M3 only. They don't "have" the size I want, so they say. The measurements TR provides indicates that they should fit with no problem on a '01 330ciS. Are there other reasons that would prevent the installation of these "M3" wheels on the 330? Looking forward to all of your replies!
Reply to
sgfan3

"sgfan3" wrote

In summary,

:)

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

the offset on E46 M3 wheels is much smaller than the 3 series and that is why they are not compatible.

BMW makes the same look but in 3 series offset if it's a BMW wheel.

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

Thanks for the helpful answer. Is the reason for the smaller M3 offset because the M3 rear axle is longer than the 330?

Reply to
sgfan3

I can't think of any problems. I have an '94 E36 (formerly a sedan, now a convertable) and I use wheels from a '95 M3. They fit fine.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"sgfan3" wrote

The M3 rear axle is shorter.

Regards,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:07:31 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" waffled on about something:

Sorry I think the summary of this is...

E36 - Yes E46 - Only the front cos the rear axle on an E46 M3 is shorter than on the standard E46.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Thanks All, for the helpful replies. Everyone seems a bit more civilized this time around! :)

Reply to
sgfan3

I believe you can use an E46 M3 front wheel on the rear of a E46. That is, four front M3 wheels should work for you.

However, finding four fronts will be bloody expensive, and they're pretty soft and easily damaged. No performance advantage over normal E46 sport package wheels. I'd go with something like the SSR Competitions - cheaper and much lighter.

Reply to
sunderland56

Is this an option for me: aftermarket (maybe 18x8 Mille Miglia MM-11s) that are intended for the front of an '01 M3...use these on all for corners of my '01 330ciSP?

Reply to
sgfan3

why not look at BBS, superior quality and strength, sexy wheels

Reply to
Sharkman540i

"sgfan3" wrote

Well, the MM-11 is already available in that size for the 330ci (according to TR site), so why would you want them specifically off of an M3?

For 330ci, you need four 18x8 ET40. For M3, you need two 18x8 ET40 on the front and two 18x9 ET20 on the back.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

i agree with the aftermarket route

there are some great quality wheels that are lighter and better priced i run 0Z racing, the SSR's and BBS are all excellent shop to your taste

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

They aren't the same size wheels. I have an E46 with 18" M3 wheels from the factory. No problem with offsets, clearance, etc. Those Michelin Pilots didn't last very long. Great performance, however. I have the Eagle F1's now and they are outstanding.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Krueger