Where is the battery on a 1991 735i

Page 1 of 2
I need to replace the battery on my 1991 735. But where the hell is it?? I've scoured the engine bay and the only thing I can find is the postive terminal for jumpstarting...
Cheers!

Under the rear seat squab? Mike.

In the trunk like almost every other BMW.

in one of mine its under the bonnet, the other the back seats, never seen one in the boot

I meant to put a "?" after my apparent statement to make it a question but I'm now lead to believe the old 7-series have them under the seat.
My E36, E46 and E38 have them in the boot/trunk.
waffled on about something:

Unless it's a 316 E36, where they complete throw you by putting it under the bonnet (hood)! What a daft place to put a battery, I ask ya!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

cheers guys...I'll have a search this evening when I come to fit the new battery. Never owned a beemer before...in fact my last car before this (daily driver anyway) was a 1973 beetle. I was kind of expecting technology to have moved on a bit in 20ish years....but no...VW got it right by the looks of it...;-)
On 7 Feb 2007 07:42:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk waffled on about something:

Ah, if you had a beetle you'll have already looked under the back seat then!
And if you'd had a landrover you'd have looked under the front seat.
But I still think in the boot hidden under the carpet is the best hidy place to confuse people.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

That's so that you don't notice the engine is so tiny.
waffled on about something:

Hehe, that's what I say to my brother (who has the 316).
Actually I say "Ooooh, it's just like a real engine, only smaller"
Pity I can't say they now, he's just got a '95 M3 (with no heating, see other post!)
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Helps the front/back weights of the cars with the smaller engines.
--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

is
the
seen
Never seen them there, but never had a 7 series...i missed that bit

I believe that 4-cylinder BMWs have them in the engine compartment, and all 6/V8/V12 models have them in the trunk. Since almost all US BMW's are in the latter group, it's not surprising that most US posters have never seen them up front.
FloydR
wrote

I don't it's that simple. AFAIK, E34's with 6 cyl's have the battery under the rear seat squab, whereas my E39 with a 6 has it in the boot. Mike.

Actually, *MY* '91 E34/525i has the battery in the engine compartment. Of course, it's on the right side of a LHD car... might not be possible on a RHD car due to placement of brake/clutch masters.
FloydR
wrote

on the right on my RHD, sat infront of the strut mounting, just behind the light plastic panel

OK...it was on under the back seat beside the driver. Easy job, took about ten mins to replace. Started it up for the first time in 3 months...ran rough as a badgers arse for a few mins and kep cutting out. But the idle smoothed out eventually.
Also had the battery warning light on and ABS and break circuit warning lights on while idling. I narrowed this down to a seized up alternator which I freed up with a large spanner, now it's running like a beauty. Amazing cars! Three months of sitting outside over a winter, and it more or less starts up and runs fine within 20mins....top marks!
On Feb 8, 9:12 am, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk wrote:

Hmmm, my 1990 GM/Vauxhall/Opel crap-box started up first turn of the key and run's just as well as it ever has after sitting for 4 months outside over the winter so I wouldn't exactly call your experience amazing, but then I wouldn't call the winter we've had a real winter anyway, except or today.
wrote

My H reg e34 has it on the drivers side in the engine bay..

As does my E39, but my E34 has it under the rear seat. Mike.