Where is the battery on a 1991 735i

I need to replace the battery on my 1991 735. But where the hell is it?? I've scoured the engine bay and the only thing I can find is the postive terminal for jumpstarting...

Cheers!

Reply to
markiremonger

Under the rear seat squab? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In the trunk like almost every other BMW.

Reply to
adder1969

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:37:12 -0000, "Mike G" waffled on about something:

Or if it's like some of the other models, in the boot, under the carpet on one of the sides.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

in one of mine its under the bonnet, the other the back seats, never seen one in the boot

Reply to
Jules

I meant to put a "?" after my apparent statement to make it a question but I'm now lead to believe the old 7-series have them under the seat.

My E36, E46 and E38 have them in the boot/trunk.

Reply to
adder1969

On 7 Feb 2007 04:24:51 -0800, "adder1969" waffled on about something:

Unless it's a 316 E36, where they complete throw you by putting it under the bonnet (hood)! What a daft place to put a battery, I ask ya!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

cheers guys...I'll have a search this evening when I come to fit the new battery. Never owned a beemer before...in fact my last car before this (daily driver anyway) was a 1973 beetle. I was kind of expecting technology to have moved on a bit in 20ish years....but no...VW got it right by the looks of it...;-)

Reply to
markiremonger

Never seen them there, but never had a 7 series...i missed that bit

Reply to
Jules

That's so that you don't notice the engine is so tiny.

Reply to
adder1969

On 7 Feb 2007 07:42:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk waffled on about something:

Ah, if you had a beetle you'll have already looked under the back seat then!

And if you'd had a landrover you'd have looked under the front seat.

But I still think in the boot hidden under the carpet is the best hidy place to confuse people.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

On 7 Feb 2007 09:14:43 -0800, "adder1969" waffled on about something:

Hehe, that's what I say to my brother (who has the 316).

Actually I say "Ooooh, it's just like a real engine, only smaller"

Pity I can't say they now, he's just got a '95 M3 (with no heating, see other post!)

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

"Jules" wrote

I believe that 4-cylinder BMWs have them in the engine compartment, and all 6/V8/V12 models have them in the trunk. Since almost all US BMW's are in the latter group, it's not surprising that most US posters have never seen them up front.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

As does my E39, but my E34 has it under the rear seat. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I don't it's that simple. AFAIK, E34's with 6 cyl's have the battery under the rear seat squab, whereas my E39 with a 6 has it in the boot. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

- 87 - in the engine compartment

87 - 94 under the rear seat 94 - 2001 in the boot (RHS) 2001 - dunno - does it need a battery?
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

"Mike G" wrote

Actually, *MY* '91 E34/525i has the battery in the engine compartment. Of course, it's on the right side of a LHD car... might not be possible on a RHD car due to placement of brake/clutch masters.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

As others have indicated it is located under the rear seat. I'm not sure with the i but the il has mechanical seat adjustments in the rear so it's somewhat of a hassle to remove the seat. You may want to consult with the dealer on the tricks to remove it so you don't damage anything. Are you sure it's the battery and not the alternator? Throw a charger on it to juice it up to see if it holds before ripping the back apart. You know where the positive terminal is and the negative would be the frame. Just a thought.

Reply to
jbravo_735il

Helps the front/back weights of the cars with the smaller engines.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My H reg e34 has it on the drivers side in the engine bay..

Reply to
Jules