Where's the aeriel ?

Where's the aeriel on a 1994 BMW 320i Coupe.

One autoglass guy told me its in the front window. So I always assumed that without question. Now another Auoglass guy tells me its in the rear window.

(This is after getting my Windscreen changed, and noticing a serious drop in quality - but it was probably just atmospheric conditions at the time)

Also, I find the reception is a bit rubbish. Is this more likely to do with the connection to the headset or is the aeriel not very good anyway?

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

That would be aerial?

It's in the rear window on my E39.

The E39 system is quite clever - it has two aerials in the rear screen and a diversity system picks the best signal or indeed combines them. Its the way pro radio mics work. But only at VHF in a car, since they are too close together to work at lower frequencies properly.

Reception faults are usually confined to the aerial amplifier/diversity unit and connections rather than the head itself or the aerials.

If you're in a reasonable reception area which works ok with other cars it should be fine. IMHO, it's not the best for extreme fringe reception.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chances it's in the rear widow. AFAIK the aerial has an amp. On my E34 it's behind the rear quarter panel. Just a guess on my part, but maybe your amp has a fault. The reception in my car is very good IMO. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks. That is one word that seems to trip me up. That and 'seperate'[sic] (Must be my internal Sarf London accent that throws me off]

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

It's built into the rear glass.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well since the purpose of language is to communicate, you did.

What's more you got your answer - well done - irrespective of the spelin.

I've been flying for 30 yeers plus an' most playns r kovrd wiv aerials (sic), butt eye spel them rong two from thyme two time.

:-) had to be done (or is that 'dun')?

Reply to
Dengue Dude

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:41:14 +0100, "Mike G" waffled on about something:

It is in the rear screen... My '94 E36 had fantastic reception. Unfortunately my '96 E36 doesn't. Even when I moved the head unit over.

So I guess it's time to try swapping the amps... Assuming I can ever find it! Grrrr!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

As he says.. it's a part of the rear screen... the reason you might be getting bad reception though, is that there is a booster for it, if this goes then the reception is poor.. you might need to locate and check it's not failed.

Reply to
C.Read

On Mon, 22 May 2006 12:42:02 +0100, "C.Read" waffled on about something:

I think that's what I just said isn't it?

Amp = Amplifier aka booster :o)

I have located it though... If you're kneeling on the back seat, facing out the rear window, it's behind the C pillar trim covering on your right. So that's UK/Japan passenger side, rest of world, drivers side.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy