Which Antenna to use?

I am installing an aftermarket Alpine CD Player in a 95 740iL. I am confused about the dual antennas that I have found attached to the factory cassette player.

Which do I use to attach to the CD player? I have been all over the internet looking for a simple answer, and I thought that this might be the place to get it.

Thanks

Jon Lancaster snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
thejumbo

The original uses a system called diversity reception. With a portable FM radio you've probably noticed that moving the set or aerial a small distance can alter the reception quality. Your original radio makes use of this effect by picking the best signal from a pair of aerials. If the replacement doesn't have this feature just use either one, I'd guess.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the one that works - No instruction book?

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

I assumed it was a diversity antenna, but I was surprised that none of the adapters took it into account. I guess I'll go with the smaller one, and see how it works.

Thanks.

Reply to
thejumbo

It is a diversity antenna system. (Hugh - you're learning something, pay attention!)

The large "normal" looking connector (it's actually a euro antenna connector - you'll need an adaptor) carries both AM and FM signals. The small one is FM only.. so you want the larger of the two.

Reply to
admin